Thursday, March 15, 2007

YeeHaw and Yipee Ki A!

Is there a better way to spell that? Please, enlighten me, a simple minded Texan...did I say Texan? I suppose I did. After all, I have lived the most years of my life here in the great country, er state of Texas. (Did you know that every morning in Texas, millions of elementary school children say a pledge to the Texas flag directly following the Pledge of Allegiance? I'll admit when I first heard that upon moving here in high school I was creeped out, but now it seems pretty fitting. Texas is pretty cool.)
Let me tell you my favorite thing of all about Texas. March. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It's as huge as Texas itself. We've got cowboys and girls from all over the country and the perttiest livestock you ever saw. The food, my gosh the food. A visit to rodeo just isn't a proper visit without a brisket loaded baked potato, turkey leg, funnel cake and nachos...not to mention fried okra, roasted corn on the cob and ice cream. I believe I wrote about this last year, remember? I saw the Hilary Duff concert with a most diverse group of people.
Anywho, the girls and I asked Clark out on a date last week to go to rodeo and see one of his favorites, Pat Green. As a family of four (paid tickets) we opted for the nosebleed seats. Long story short, Abby's 'apparently recurring vertigo' scored us some primo seats right four rows up from the buckin' bronco/barrel racing chute. They were awesome. The girls rocked out at the concert, our chuck wagon pick won the race and we had ice cream sandwiches. We are going again tomorrow just for the livestock show. I am truly sad to be bidding farewell to my final year of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Adios, buckaroo.


Giddyup, Cowgirl.

10 comments:

mo said...

I have such great memories of Houston's Rodeo! Remember seeing the Dixie Chicks and then getting hit on by some drunk guy while waiting for the shuttle bus? I've also seen Reba MacIntyre, Jeff Foxworthy, Natalie Cole, Pebo Bryson, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and others whose names I can't spell either--all all for about $10 a ticket! I love the calf chase, the chuckwagon races and the bull riding. One of the best sights was Clark in uniform riding a horse in the opening parade on military night!Sigh, I wish I was there to come with you. I still have my cowboy hat--maybe someday.

Abby said...

Ah...how could we miss our last Rodeo? It makes me so sad.! I guess getting a job is pretty important, but still...I even have boots and a jean skirt to match your girls (and I believe I even have my own monkey back pack!)

Jessica said...

How cute are those girls! It sounds like fun. My boys would love to go to something like that...
So you guys are moving? Did I understand that right?

Emma Jo said...

The house hits the market a week from Monday...cross your fingers, I'm not sure about the whole, "keep the house clean enough to show" idea.

Oscarson Photography said...

Ah! Why didnt you take us!? two years running would have made it an official tradition! h's missing tooth fits the cowgirl look perfect!!! we miss the girls (and you two) so much!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

didn't we see john michael montgomery together in high school? who is pat green anyway?

Sarah said...

I LOVE rodeos. I went to many a rodeo in small towns throughout Utah...very fun. We've been to he National Finals Rodeo here twice, and it's GREAT. I must admit. I have to look away during calf roping and steer wrestling...a little too much for me!

Kara said...

I'm not sure how to respond to this except that your family is so darn cute! And if a cowboy hat and some boots is considered a uniform than the old saying is right...how could you resist!? Where are you moving to, did I miss something?

Julie said...

I wanna live in Texas! (I admire its sovereignty from the rest of the nation!)

Amy Lynn said...

I have a strange little place in my heart for rodeos. And who could resist little, bitty tiny pink cowboy boots and cowboy hats and brisket with a loaded baked potato? Sigh. I love potatoes and darling nieces.