So today my sister and I did one of those typical trips to the mall--multiple small children, lots of stores, tons of cute clothes, not enough expendable cash and it all ends with me rushing us back out to the car to pick up #1 from school.
Anyway, we were making our final rush back to the car from halfway down the mall. I had the three year old on my shoulders and pushing the one year old in a stroller. I pass the cart of men with miscellaneous accents that ask you to stop and take a moment for yourself. "Excus-a me, madame, can you stop and take a moment to pamper yourself?" Are you serious? I always try to look extra "busy" when I pass these guys because they make me uncomfortable. I stopped once and was felt up (OK, just my hands...correction, one hand) by a tall, dark handsome fellow from Italy?...or was is Greece? I couldn't quite place the accent (oh yeah, because its all a made up ploy to lure innocent and stressed out mothers to their booth so they can sell you a $40 bottle of generic lotion and a rock that makes your fingernails look like silk...) Anyway, I was passing said "foreign" man and tried to curb my sarcasm as I pointed with both hands to the children in the stroller and on my shoulders and said, "uh, I'm kinda busy" and continued on my way. I mean for real, did it look like I wanted to stop and let him straighten my hair? It would take a free massage with complimentary caramel apples and babysitting to stop me. Come on guys, you gotta do better than a fake accent and good hair.
10 comments:
I am so embarrassed to admit I bought the lotion and nail-shining thing from a guy from Israel at one of those booths. It makes me a little sick thinking how I put down that money just so I could get out of the situation and not look stupid. The guy said he was an attorney in Israel. Oh, really? Why are you selling lotion in Orem, Utah? He even pulled out some sort of official looking ID card that said he was an Israeli lawyer. He could tell I didn't believe him. I'm still not sure...
I either ignore them, or put up my hand as they approach me and say "I'm not interested" before they can open their mouths...Is that rude?
What color did you decide to color your hair?
i don't like those booths either. avoid eye contact, walk quickly past, and just say "no thank you". i think i actually did stop one time to have my hands pampered, but never the hair straightener yet. i too think it is funny when they ask mom's with kids. we are lucky to even be able to walk the mall halls with our kiddos and not lose one of them. please don't distract us. and i was at the mall today too. too bad we didn't run into each other. my excitement was being around a kid who split his head open in the food court. lots of blood at lunch time- my favorite!
I'm not sure......a sexy accent and really great hair was enough to convince me to ditch my feminist ideals and get married.
How come I have only been approached by women in those situations? Am I hanging around in the wrong malls?
Come to Newton, we have one country store with a few expired bottles of lotion and lava rock to decorate entrance--- and no one with an accent... uh, okay, not a FOREIGN accent to push you to buy anything. You can at least get a free bag of chips when they expire on the shelf.
Yep, I hate those booths too. I try and walk the perimeter of the mall, so that all the other people get "zapped" by those foreign booth workers. When I am unfortunate enough to be bothered by them I mumble something as I quickly walk away!!!
I love to argue with those people or making random comments since I know I'll never see them agian. I do feel bad that it's there job, that sure would be a stinky one.
Big smile and "no thanks." Ya gotta own your "no", otherwise they think there's hope, and that's just mean. Apparently you looked like you were just begging for straighter hair...are you sure you weren't wondering just a tiny bit what it would feel like to have his smooth hands [bc he uses that lotion and rock stuff] in your hair? He must have felt some sort of chemistry...or in his country a mom with kids literally hanging on her body says, "Take me, I'm yours!"
Thanks for telling me what that video was (Weapon of Choice) I was so tripped up about that & couldn't get the song out of my mind for weeks. But now that I know, maybe it will feel free to leave! Great blog about these freaky people at the kiosks in the mall! We have them here in VA with the full-on accents, too! (Actually a lot of them have no accents, but look like gang members & they try to sell you cell phone accessories that light up)
Post a Comment