Friday, March 31, 2006

Comfort Food

Have you heard the one about the man who goes into a bar? He sits down and orders a drink (a Root Beer of course). While he's sitting there he hears, "Wow, what a great shirt!". He looks around to see who said it but doesn't see anyone near him so he goes back to his drink. Again, he hears the voice, "You look like a really nice guy". This happens a few more times and he begins to feel aggitated because there is no one near him. So he finally asks the bartender, "Do you hear that?" and the bartender replies, "Oh yeah, it's the peanuts. They're complimentary."
Yesterday was just one of those hectic and frantic days. I was trying to get a bunch of stuff done in the morning so that we could relax and go to the park in the afternoon. It was just taking forever to complete some simple tasks and get out the door. So finally we make it to the car and decide that what is needed is some good old fashion comfort food to calm everyone down and keep hands and mouths busy for our errand.
burger
Sonic being our fast food joint of choice we ordered our food and got on our way. I took the first bite of my Sonic Cheeseburger--a big one, right into the fresh, soft bun. It was such a big bite that my cheeks felt the warm caress of the bread, and it felt like a hug. It's as if the burger was telling me, "Relax, lay your troubles aside and enjoy the fried, fatty artificial taste of joy." So I took some swigs of my huge root beer and consumed a couple of cheese sticks (OK, a few cheese sticks) and felt much better.

12 comments:

Abby said...

The other part of the story is that she called to see where I was--Sonic. Great minds think alike, but so sisters.

mo said...

Ummm, the picture and description are making my mouth water.I have personally eaten three packages of Target's chocolate mint cups myself in the last week. I think that using food as a comfort is good...fattening but good, and I will sit on anyone who disagrees.

Oscarson Photography said...

i was so afraid the story was gonna end with a "... and there in the middle of my burger was a shriveled rat foot!" or somthing like that.... but i would be remiss if i didnt ask... does this mean you ate sonic TWICE yesterday??

Emma Jo said...

I got different things each time...except for the root beer, of course.

Suzie Petunia said...

I also thought there would be something gross in the burger. I'm so glad for you that there wasn't... just pure, unadulterated, artificially flavored joy. :) You are funny.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

We are madly in love with the Cherry Limeade and foot long chili dogs. The musical show that follows such a meal is also delightfully fun.

SP said...

I am eating apples and bananas in sweet and condensed milk right now and it is almost 9p.m. I don't plan on sleeping very well and now I am craving a hamburger.

p.s. I searched you on the blog and am enjoying your stories...

Amy Lynn said...

I am all about emotional eating. It may make you fat but it really works pretty well. When I was pregnant with Hannah, I would sneak away to Sonic for the cheese sticks and a creamsicle shake thing. Yeah. That's REAL joy!

Jared Stubbs said...

I am blog searching and happy that I found you! My class is really boring I would much rather visit my cousins, even if it is an e-vist.

Suebee said...

Em, I now am checking daily. It's time to update. I am bored and need you to entertain me.

mo said...

Hey, we want pictures of the new kitchen color! Come on, get crackin' and give us some new material here!!!

Emma Jo said...

My camera is broken. As soon as I get someone else over here with their's, I will post again. If my kids can be good, I can post (say it like the quote from An Affair to Remember--if he can paint, I can walk.)...it sounded funnier in my head.