I've had some clarity as of late. Clarity is good because it is just enough validation from time to time to know that I have permanently lost my ability to think and organize and get things in order. I sometimes go for long stretches of time without clarity so I cling to and feel great gratitude for those fleeting vistas of pure thought and understanding. A couple of things come to mind.
Moderation in all things. I like to think of myself as one who strives for good moderation. I know that sometimes I get an idea and talk it up real good. But as far as action I am also human. Sometimes a good idea needs a lot of talk for a little bit of action. My end goal is just to not swing too far one way or the other. I don't want to get caught up in fads, or monopolize my time and energy on any one thing, outside of family, naturally.
I think the trick as a woman, wife and mother is to just find what works best. What works best for me? for my marriage? for my children? for my home? Then pursue it. If there is negativity, leave it behind. If there is discouragement, look up. Move on. Seek for the good. Invest in the good. Lend yourself to people or situations in need when able but don't saturate yourself in the un-good.
There is a constant motion swirling around our family and each of the members in it. It is also a trick to find a balance. It requires constant attention to and nurturing of this balance. If we get distracted from that, for whatever reason, it takes time to find it again. And that's OK. It helps us learn and grow and progress.
One of these many things that I have made a decision about, like many friends and family is the decision to refine my activity on Facebook and social media...really that just means Facebook. Blogs are good-the ones that I can spend time reading and catching up on and feel like I have invested my time instead of wasting it. I won't waste my precious time on blogs that anger me, or make me feel wriled up. But I will read about friends and family that enrich me and build me up. It wasn't really even until a year or two ago that I became more "active" on Facebook. I'm never on Twitter (even though I have an account, I have no idea how it works.) I dabble in instagram though it is becoming more attractive to me as I really don't have much interest in most of what people have to say on Facebook. It just means that I have pared down who I follow on FB. If I don't know someone that well, chances are I don't include them in my feed. And after a recent talk with a very wise woman, I have become more selective about what I post after asking myself the important question of "why do I feel a need to post this?" Most of the time I do it purely for entertainment value. Plus I do indeed see the value in connecting with and keeping in touch with people, and that means being amused and happy with what they are doing right now. In short, blogs are good. I am hoping to get back into a more regular posting groove.
More cousin time.
More adorable baby time.
More time enjoying the fact that Houston winters consist of amazingly perfect weather with a cold snap here and there that allows us to don our winter things.
More kids doing good thing.
More dressing up? Not really, but I had to include Halloween in there somewhere. Every time I take a picture now that I want to post on FB I quickly have the thought that I would rather post it somewhere that my family will see it again...like in the blog books from years past that are slowly filling my bookshelf. I was totally unprepared for Halloween this year. I wasn't really even looking forward to it - it is not my favorite holiday. In years past I have really enjoyed planning and sewing costumes for the kids but I just didn't want to this year. So I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to come up with great costumes last minute.
Bestill my heart, did I really get to marry this man forever more? So lucky.
More adorable kids (even though I couldn't get Abby to NOT pose like she is 20 and on the cover of a magazine.)
Jonah had about 4 different costumes since I have so many in his size. Why not use them all?
Sister in law Sadie turned 19 and we took her on a scavenger hunt where she had to do things like find a suitcase that she could fit inside of, buy and give away flowers to perfect strangers, and catch one of her sister's chickens. That was my favorite.
More time with wonderful people.
And a trip to Austin to have our family pictures taken by the always talented, Kristen Duke. We were only there for a very short time but it's always fun to see her and reconnect - and my walls thank you endlessly for the amazing pictures she has done for our family over the years.
On to Christmas and 2014 and all that comes with it!
Moderation in all things. I like to think of myself as one who strives for good moderation. I know that sometimes I get an idea and talk it up real good. But as far as action I am also human. Sometimes a good idea needs a lot of talk for a little bit of action. My end goal is just to not swing too far one way or the other. I don't want to get caught up in fads, or monopolize my time and energy on any one thing, outside of family, naturally.
I think the trick as a woman, wife and mother is to just find what works best. What works best for me? for my marriage? for my children? for my home? Then pursue it. If there is negativity, leave it behind. If there is discouragement, look up. Move on. Seek for the good. Invest in the good. Lend yourself to people or situations in need when able but don't saturate yourself in the un-good.
There is a constant motion swirling around our family and each of the members in it. It is also a trick to find a balance. It requires constant attention to and nurturing of this balance. If we get distracted from that, for whatever reason, it takes time to find it again. And that's OK. It helps us learn and grow and progress.
One of these many things that I have made a decision about, like many friends and family is the decision to refine my activity on Facebook and social media...really that just means Facebook. Blogs are good-the ones that I can spend time reading and catching up on and feel like I have invested my time instead of wasting it. I won't waste my precious time on blogs that anger me, or make me feel wriled up. But I will read about friends and family that enrich me and build me up. It wasn't really even until a year or two ago that I became more "active" on Facebook. I'm never on Twitter (even though I have an account, I have no idea how it works.) I dabble in instagram though it is becoming more attractive to me as I really don't have much interest in most of what people have to say on Facebook. It just means that I have pared down who I follow on FB. If I don't know someone that well, chances are I don't include them in my feed. And after a recent talk with a very wise woman, I have become more selective about what I post after asking myself the important question of "why do I feel a need to post this?" Most of the time I do it purely for entertainment value. Plus I do indeed see the value in connecting with and keeping in touch with people, and that means being amused and happy with what they are doing right now. In short, blogs are good. I am hoping to get back into a more regular posting groove.
More cousin time.
More adorable baby time.
More time enjoying the fact that Houston winters consist of amazingly perfect weather with a cold snap here and there that allows us to don our winter things.
More kids doing good thing.
More dressing up? Not really, but I had to include Halloween in there somewhere. Every time I take a picture now that I want to post on FB I quickly have the thought that I would rather post it somewhere that my family will see it again...like in the blog books from years past that are slowly filling my bookshelf. I was totally unprepared for Halloween this year. I wasn't really even looking forward to it - it is not my favorite holiday. In years past I have really enjoyed planning and sewing costumes for the kids but I just didn't want to this year. So I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to come up with great costumes last minute.
Bestill my heart, did I really get to marry this man forever more? So lucky.
More adorable kids (even though I couldn't get Abby to NOT pose like she is 20 and on the cover of a magazine.)
Jonah had about 4 different costumes since I have so many in his size. Why not use them all?
Sister in law Sadie turned 19 and we took her on a scavenger hunt where she had to do things like find a suitcase that she could fit inside of, buy and give away flowers to perfect strangers, and catch one of her sister's chickens. That was my favorite.
More time with wonderful people.
And a trip to Austin to have our family pictures taken by the always talented, Kristen Duke. We were only there for a very short time but it's always fun to see her and reconnect - and my walls thank you endlessly for the amazing pictures she has done for our family over the years.
On to Christmas and 2014 and all that comes with it!








4 comments:
Love your Halloween costume. Very awesome!
I wish we were neighbors! I love those costumes.
Clarity. Always searching for it. Wondering where to spend my energy, or what is left of it. Always seem to come back to the blog. It makes me happy and holds my memories in a way I can't anymore. Hope you find what you are looking for. Although, really it is all around us, right?
here, here! i support you...even though it took me a few days to find this.
Post a Comment