PART 1: WHERE WE GO ON VACATION TO THE OUTER BANKS WITH OUR BESTIES and call ourselves The ScharSon JenDerborgs.
Clark and I have never been to the Outer Banks but it's kind of the rage out here on the East Coast. I mean, you really haven't "lived" until you can put an OBX circle sticker on your car. Well, we didn't put a sticker on the car, but we went and go again, we will. We scored a great deal by getting there the weekend before Memorial Day and staying through the whole week renting a huge house with two other families, and a third that joined us for part of that time (they were responsible about school and all that jazz.) The water was a tad chilly but the weather cooperated nicely and we had a blast with these people that we love.We pretty much did the beach and pool in the backyard every day. Sometimes multiple times. The beach was right across the street so it was super easy access when hauling so many kids and so much stuff.
We jumped, we played.
Because we had some older kids in house, the adults snuck away one evening to 4x4 beach-only 4x4 vehicles allowed because you are literally driving down the beach, no road. The men had scouted out the perfect place to woo their wives and watch the sunset on the dunes where wild horses play.
We played a little too.
Consequently, this was on one of the same days that we watched that very sun rise up over the horizon on the other side of the strip of beach that makes up the Outer Banks. It was gorgeous.
There really are no words to describe how much I love these ladies. They have been such good friends, and I miss them. A lot.
Evenings after the kids were all put to bed were my favorite. We ate, we played, we laughed.
This is the view from our house's balcony. So close to the water. Such great views.
Everyone brought a carload of stuff, supplies, food, etc. Doug was in charge of the toys. I'm sure we appreciated this toy more than our neighbors. I'm pretty sure we didn't hit anything we weren't supposed to. And I even picked up balloon pieces whenever I saw them.
Lots of babies.
Lots of shenanigans.
Lots of adorable friends.
Lots of chats on the beach.
We even attempted the most successful group picture I have ever been a part of. It took all of 5 minutes, kids were cooperative and we got some good shots (none of which I have in my possession just yet, but I will, soon enough.) :)
But we were all looking in the same direction at the same time which equals success with this group.
But let's be honest, everyone looking at the camera at the same time is overrated. This is a personal favorite too. I am more tempted to hang this one above a mantel. And I might have to make it my facebook banner since it includes our fifth child and everything.
These kids, I love all these kids!
And then the adults took an awkward prom picture because as grown ups we have forgotten how to be spontaneous and stand naturally. Just kidding, it may be a little awkward but I find us all awesome still.
More cute friends.
I love when Clark catches me taking a picture. He just can't help himself.
Like father like daughter.
Merianne brought the home cooked goodies. I ate them with almost every meal.
I don't think any adults got in the hot tub all week. The pool was really cold so the kids hung out mostly in here. The water was so murky with all those little bodies in there, the grown ups didn't dare get in.
One of Doug's toys was his scuba gear. We all took turns in the pool. So cool. So NOT my thing though. I tried it but decided that I don't like being underwater and I don't like wearing goggles in a pool-who wants to see all that lurks beneath?!
Mia, Ben and Jagger all slept in a room in the basement all week. They were the sweetest, best behaved room. I realize that some day probably very soon we won't be doing the co-ed sleepover thing so it was sweet to see her getting along so well with her friends.
In case you were wondering where Doug fit all these toys, he brought the truck and squeezed his family in the cab. We laid out a massive slip 'n slide on the beach. I wish I could say it was as awesome as it sounds. We decided that the idea was indeed awesome, and there is room for improvement, next year. A lifeguard on a four wheeler even stopped and just when we thought we were going to be reprimanded, he told us it was the most awesome thing he had ever seen.
Something I love about these friends are that they are unabashedly crazy and fun. We may have looked like dorks to the rest of the beach, but we had a blast. And I am really glad that nobody broke any bones. We ain't no spring chickens anymore but it sure entertained the kids for a while...and every passer by. My favorite was when the guys were being totally goofy and doing stunts like the one below when a group of young single ladies strutted by they confidently puffed their chests and nodded with a "how's it goin' ladies" as their bajillion kids ran circles around them and their wives stood by chuckling.
We got up a couple of mornings to watch the sunrise. It was still and quiet. The second morning the kids wanted to get up too. The beach is silent that time of morning but I was surprised to see other people dotting the beach and their balconies to watch. It made me feel happy to see so many people enjoying that moment.
This next bit is no joke - the week started with a beach safety power point presentation by our very own Clark Scharman. We take safety seriously, especially when there are that many kids. It was thoroughly entertaining...so much so, that I am pretty sure they all remembered what to do if they actually got caught in a riptide. And everyone was telling everyone to drink their water all week long. So I would call the safety brief a success, wouldn't you? (I'm sure their attentiveness had nothing to do with the starburst rewards at the end for correctly answered questions.) You can see part of our "family reunion name" in the background. We were the ScharSon JenDerborgs. Can't you just see it on a t-shirt?
I had been so diligent with my workouts for several months in a row so I was happy to attempt a run on the beach while we were there (consequently it was the only one but fun nonetheless.) Kastell had become my happy running buddy the last month or two that we were there. It made running not only tolerable, but enjoyable. I just can't seem to make myself go running without her now.
Stay tuned for Part 2: "The Move" which is unfortunately connected to "Hazel's Injury"...





5 comments:
You included so much, and still left out so much! Sand crabs, Gunner's yellow rain, Jonah's mouthful of sand... good times, good times. Until next year!!
This is Clark, not Haley...
Fantastic. I am so glad that vacations like this happen. Good friends are hard to come by.
Looks like so much fun!!
Seeing these pictures made me almost cry. I'm already counting down the months until our next reunion! Love and miss you guys so much!
Post a Comment