Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Limited Resources...

I will give you $1,000,000 if you can tell me what is going on in this picture.  What?  You don't know?  That's good, because I didn't have $1,000,000 to give you.
This, my friends, is a snuggle line.  Do you suppose my kids have been hard pressed for some one on one affection from their tired mother?  Shame on me.  And shame on them...they just kept getting in line, the little stinkers.  The almost 11 year old is currently coiled up on my lap in this picture, and really, who knows where the baby was at this particular moment.
I have no excuse for the infrequent blogging, unless you count "getting used to having 5 kids" as a good excuse.  Do you want to know a secret?  My baby is so good, it's kind of like having 4.  Really, it was all the same to me after the transition to 2.  Just louder and more laundry.
It has been a somewhat uneventful summer, not including having a baby of course.  Although, that is the reason it has been uneventful.  I was so worried about him coming right at the beginning of summer, having to juggle everyone, all day, every day.  But it has actually worked in my favor.  We are laid back, moment-to-moment kind of folks right now.  I have extra helpers for both mess making, and mess cleaning up.  We can take our time, and we do.
I am getting on a plane with the baby in a few hours to go to Sweden (again!) I am the luckiest girl in the world because I get to go hang out with my siblings and their babies who were also born in June (their babies, not my siblings.)  And my parents, my lovely lovely parents.  Can we pick apples and plums off of your trees and maybe make some applesauce or a plum tart?  I am planning on drinking copious amounts of deliciously syrupped club soda from your fridge and maybe laying my head in your lap and asking you to tell me about when I was little...before I was old enough to do dishes and laundry.
Clark just got back on Friday from a 3 week trip...I am sad to spend only 5 days of August together but I am so grateful that I get to go away for a few days (I don't even mind the prospect of Jonah having a major blowout in the airport or on a plane seeing as how we are on day 4 without poop...it's coming, I know it.)  But I am grateful that Clark will be here to hold down the fort while I am gone (along with the help of some wonderful friends!!) and I am grateful to feel so peaceful about the messes around the house, knowing that I don't have to clean them up, or nag until someone else does.  Ah, the vacation has already started in my mind.
Save a place in that snuggle line for me Clarky, I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I hope you have the best trip. I could go with some pampering by my parents as well. (Although, truthfully, lately they seem to need more help from me when I visit...so really enjoy your folks.)
I love the snuggle line idea. I love good husbands who make sanity possible.

Oh...and I DO NOT LIKE the extra laundry that comes with five kids. Maybe Jonah will be a blessed soul who doesn't change clothes 3-5 times daily. (Like my children) :)

Leah said...

Glad to read your usual sarcasm littered with so much happiness and contentment...really I can just feel it floating off your typed words. It is simply amazing what we Mom's can get used to...and truly one of God's greatest blessing that we can experience such joy in the midst of little people chaos.
Safe travels and well deserved rest to you Em.
Cheers,
Leah