Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I love this city.

Today Hazel and I headed downtown with a friend to check out the butterfly exhibit.  I am trying to take advantage of our fun time together before baby comes along and kicks her out of her "baby of the family" spot.  Unfortunately, arriving 45 minutes after the museum opens during April (aka crazy Spring Breakers overtake DC month) was too late to get tickets into that exhibit.  But guess what we saw on our way into the city?
Retiring of the space shuttle Discovery, just in case you didn't know.
 It was possibly one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  It just kept circling the city.  There were cars stopped all along the freeway and people spilling over the National mall with their cameras poised and ready.  So, cool.
 My friend and I had a nice conversation about how much we really love living in such a cool place.  It feels monumental to see everything (no pun intended,) even on a routine jaunt into the city for an outing.  I get that feeling of awe and excitement every time I drive in past all of the monuments and museums.  It is just gorgeous.
And it was fun to be with these two little turkeys.  They are both the babies of their families.  I love taking Hazel places and allowing her to just lead the way with what she wants to do and what she wants to see.
And the outing ended with Cafe Rio, which is never a bad thing.

6 comments:

JJ said...

That is so awesome! I really loved our trip to D.C. many, many years ago. I would love to do it again with my kids. Hopefully I can make that happen one day.

Abby said...

AWWWW! I WANNA TAKE A FAMILY VACATION TO PLAY!

Matt said...

You have a Cafe Rio there?! What?! As Napoleon Dynamite would say: "Lucky! Gosh." What a fun opportunity to live in such a historic place.

Nat

mo said...

Can I come live in DC with you and go on outings with Hazel? PLEEEEASE?

Leah said...

I am sure DC would be an amazing city to live near...once you get used to the traffic.
I had a feeling you were behind the snow. Though it is likely I jinxed myself: We bought new swimsuits at target on Friday- that pretty much guaranteed it.
Love your "big mama's baby" countdown.

Cheers

Amy Lynn said...

Love, love, love your city! Loved all the cool stuff there was to see and do every single day...and even in 4 months I didn't begin to scratch the surface...and I definitely didn't have a Hazel to share it all with!!!