Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I got nothin.

 This picture makes me happy.  All of the sudden, Hazel is drawing them everywhere and they are alive and happy creatures.  I like it which is good because just about everything else is driving me batty these days.
This pregnancy has brought with it an interesting blend of old and new as far as pregnancies are concerned.  Seeing that it is number 5, it's hard not to compare and contrast a little bit.
So far, it has been the same in some ways (wanting to barf at the slightest mention of something gross, loud or too colorful) and different in other ways, out of breath all the time, erratic and frequent mood swings.  So typical, right?  It's like PMS, three times a month.  A pretty sweet deal for my family.
I am trying my hardest to reemphasize my gratitude right now to bring it all back to a happy place because I have spent the better part of the last week trying to decide the best time of day to abandon my family, and where to go.  In fact, the other night I may or may not have said that I was running away and Hazel started to cry.  Just to show you how mean I am right now, I let her for a minute.  In truth, I wish the other ones had cried too but they didn't even notice.  They are little monsters who just want to make my life difficult.  See that?  Ingratitude.  My sister posted a nice reminder of why I am usually so happy.  It was a good reminder.  It's just difficult to get back to that place after your kids have torn your patience and emotions out of your chest, dragged them up and down the driveway, barfed red velvet cupcakes on them and then shoved them under their beds with their dirty underwear.  I realize that I might be ever-so-sensitive right now, but they promised that if we had another baby they would be awesome.
Note to self: don't believe promises made by anyone under the age of 10.  I seem to recall them making that same deal about a puppy.  However, it may be a little late to reconsider our options.
A baby it is.
On the upside, Clark has been amazing.  He cleans, he does the dishes, he puts kids to bed and he shakes his head in disapproval if I have done more than one chore in a day.  He doesn't even complain when we are having bagels for dinner.
He keeps his promises.
 In other news, fall has erupted.  It has actually taken me so long to write about how much I love fall that it has finished erupting and died, on our lawn.  All, over, the lawn.  Clark did tackle the front yard this weekend which was a lovely service because I think every single square inch of the roof, driveway and front yard was completely covered with leaves.  It looked really nice for a day and then another batch of leaves fell.  This picture out the back door was taken about a week ago, and now there is not one leaf left on those trees.
It was gorgeous while it lasted though.  Everywhere I drove I was in awe of the landscape.
I [heart] fall.
 On another positive note I got my Thanksgiving meal shopping done today.  Last year I remember shopping the week of Thanksgiving and standing in lines just to go down isles.  It was insane!! But that is how awesome my grocery store is, I love it, the $599.00/lb truffles and all.  (The rest of the store is very reasonably priced.)
So today I went at 8 in the morning and it was just a normal shopping trip, except that I bought exorbitant amounts of heavy whipping cream.
I [heart] Thanksgiving.
And I [heart] my grocery store.
I think it is possibly my favorite holiday.
Don't forget the truffles! or maybe you should, you know, in this economy and all (plus, they look like shriveled pieces of poop in sawdust.  So maybe you just shouldn't.)
Also in other news, I look like I am having twins even though the doctor swore there was just one.  This was taken 3 weeks ago.  I am in the awkward "is she or isn't she" phase where one day I look 5 months pregnant and the next day I look not at all.  In any case, my pants are starting to be more than slightly uncomfortable and I'm wondering how I can get away with wearing maternity yoga pants every day for the next six months. (Try to ignore Clark in the background.  He was trying to tell me something and I obviously wasn't paying attention. Also, he may be int he middle of changing his clothes.)

In the same news as always, Hazel is cute.  That is how I gauge if I am justified in being in a bad mood or not.  If I am irritated with her, it is irrational hormones talking because this girl is funny and silly and sweet.  We must be in for a doozy of a hellion because she has been too easy.  I mean it, not only did she potty train herself at 2 but now she is teaching herself how to read.  Why am I even here except maybe to make her chocolate milk when she is being so cute I can't stand it.

And that's it.  I'm afraid the blog will continue to suffer because my care factor has plummeted.  Not just about the blog, but about housekeeping in general and looking acceptable when I leave the house.  I also have been letting my kids do their own hair.  I know, I'll be one of those people that has 5 kids that are all dirty and snotty and whose house is a perpetual disaster.  I mean, I hope not, I really hope not but right now, I don't care that much.  That worries me a great deal, somewhere down in my deepest subconscious.  But not enough to do anything about it.  I am chalking it all up to first trimester slump and the need to lay down as many times a day as I can.  That will go away eventually, right?  Right?  Tell me we will be cute and fun again someday.  Tell me, even if it's not true.
The end.

16 comments:

Natalie said...

It's true, it's true, I will talk you down off the ledge. I am just leaving the ledge myself. I have never felt more impatient than I did with this last pregnancy. I'm sure #5 will be more of the same. This motherhood gig is tough sometimes. But when you have that innocent little baby in your arms it's all going to be worth it. I know you know that. :) Go sit on your can and eat some ice cream. Tiddlywinks helps too.

michaelstubbs said...

Is she driving a car down the stairs of a slide? Awesome.

Suzie Petunia said...

You will be THE CUTEST and THE MOST FUN again some day... except even more so because you'll have one more little Scharman angel!

That Hazel... I could eat her up. Maybe saute her up with some of those truffles....

Suzie Petunia said...

Pregnancy hormones SUCK. (Excuse the language. I'm actually being nice.) None of this is your fault. This is normal. And it will all go away eventually.

Berly said...

Having just gone through this and experiencing slot of the same emotions, I can tell you...you will definitely get back. My girls occasionally still do their own hair, and Nicole almost always has something on her face or in her nose, but they are still adorable. I can appreciate it now when my moods have finally calmed down.

Niki said...

I still think that you are very cute and extremely nice...and I saw you 5 days out of 7 last week. You had every chance to prove me wrong.
As for whiplash from violent moodswings, I have it and I am not pregnant. I think it's something in the air. Don't worry, I'll take all four of them if you feel like giving up motherhood for the next few months, I need a hobby :)

Kelly Mo said...

I love this post. All of it. Especially the part where you admit to planning on how you will abandon your family and where you will go off to. So very human of you, and I am glad I am not the only one.

mo said...

Everything and everybody will be cute, clean, and funny again. You know it will all get back to normal cuz that's just you. This part stinks and makes you feel like it will never end. Now go lay down and take a long nap. I miss Hazel. Could you send her to me?

Anonymous said...

Your post is bringing back so many pregnancy memories...and not the good ones...wait I don't have any good ones. As usual I love your comic honesty. Keep a countdown in your brain of how many days till you reach the 2nd trimester. I know you know this, but the 2nd is so much easier. Focus on that, and possibly start looking at infant baby gap and Ralph Lauren clothes on line.
By the way, I already let the girls do their own hair, and have nothing like your excuse...big families with neat and perfect kids and homes are obnoxious.
Blessings on you and baby
Cheers,
Leah

Julie said...

Hooray!! That is great! I am so excited for you and your sis, too! Can't wait to find out what it is!! (are you going to find out??)

Jangs said...

I am with MO. Go lie down and rest and it will be ok in a few months. It is worth it you know.

Nolo and Lauren said...

How fun that there will be all these Oscarson cousins that are the same age. Congrats!

Maleen said...

Sometimes I get frustrated when you write your beautiful long posts because I comment in my head the whole way, but then I can't decide which comment to actually post.

Oh what, you want to hear them all? It will make your pregnant day? Okay...

Love Hazel's picture. I always keep the weird looking figures that remind me of muppets.

I often plan to run away and I'm not even pregnant. It might be just having five kids, but that is not the kind of encouragement you need right now. :)

A bagel sound really good right now.

Um...do I even know what Truffles are? Because they sure can't be what I thought they were and still cost $599/lb. Must research them soon.

On any given day I can look about three months pregnant which is depressing and annoying because I swear people still have me on baby watch even though I have proclaimed (practically from the pulpit) that we are not having any more.

Hazel is adorable. And I don't think that means the next one will be hard. Chocolate milk sounds really good right now.

My kids do their own hair.

I am still cute and fun occasionally, so I am sure that it will all come back to you. Although I am terrible about blogging right now too, so no promises there.

And there are all the random things I think. Actually, there were probably plenty more, but my short term memory is not so great anymore...

...what were we talking about?

Carrie Ann said...

Target jeggings. I am 5 weeks away from by due date and I am still wearing my Target jeggings. They are awesome and make you feel like you look cute and normal. They look like jeans, not leggings, I am always quizzing Todd "jeans or jeggings?" and he always gets it wrong. You look cute in your picture anyways. Thank goodness for cute tunic tops and short little dresses that can be worn with, you got it, jeggings.

Bugers n' Gelato said...

Aw, I hope you start feeling better soon! With babies on my horizon it is...educational to see what moms go through, thanks for blogging the truth! :) And I agree with Leah (ManySlices) neat and pretty large familys are obnoxious.

Rynell said...

Congratulations! You'll feel like yourself again someday and have an adorable baby too.