Friday, June 10, 2011

My seedy past and other indistrections.

Today I would like to tell you about the time that I got "in school suspension" in high school, also known as (cue horror music) ISS.  It's the kind of thing that I like to just mention without ever telling the story because as you will soon come to find out, it's not that exciting.
My senior year I was in a teaching class...as in, a class for future teachers (yes, I was even in the "Future Teachers of America"club where I went to a day long conference, designed t shirts for our team of goobers and won a bulletin board making contest.) It was a very exciting time in my teenage life (but not really.)  The class was taught by dear Ms. Peschel.  There is not really a lot I can say about dear Ms. Peschel except, bless her little heart.  Anyway, the thing that I loved best about this class, besides the fact that a whole handful of my friends were in it, is that the second half of the year was split into student teaching gigs.  There was both a middle and elementary school within walking distance so during this class period we had a pass to leave campus and go do student teaching to our assigned classes.  At the beginning of the year we each signed a little contract promising that we would not leave campus for anything else...do you see where this is going?  Most people that want to become teachers are honorable, honest and mature.  Not me, I like to live on the wild side. [clear throat]  So I skipped out on lunch a couple of times (which was directly after this class period) and maybe an occasional English class.  Who needs English anyway?  I'm never going to England (name that quote.)  Besides, when I skipped I was actually doing good deeds, like having lunch at another elementary school with my friend and her little brother, building schools for the less fortunate and feeding the homeless.  Long story short, one of my friends sold me out.  I was called to the principal's office and asked where I was on these "alleged absences".  Like a moron who was not used to lying, I pulled out my day planner (because people used those back then), looked up the days and tried to look as perplexed as I could.  Hemming and hawing, "hm, that's weird.  I really don't know why I wouldn't have been there.  I didn't have an appointment of any kind.  Hm.  Strange."  I flipped the pages around a couple of times just for good measure.  And just like that I was Martha Stewart.  They were making an example of me.  The cruelty.  Or maybe I just totally deserved it because I broke my word and a rule.
I was given 1 day in ISS.  One of my good friends that was in that class with me is now a principal at the high school.  That makes me laugh.  He probably gets a good laugh from watching teenagers being dorks.  Anyway, anyone that knows me knows that I do not belong in places like ISS.  That was for low-pant-hanging, pot smoking, homework non-doers that eat Little Debbies for breakfast (I only eat chocolate cake for breakfast now...back then I was straight as an arrow.)  So the day of ISS I made sure to wear my baggiest pants and big sweatshirt because somehow it would make me blend in and not make it so obvious that I was a goody two shoes, squeaky clean, never kissed a boy, love-to-hang-out-with-my-parents-on-the-weekends kind of girl.
Maybe I should have hidden a shiv in my geometry book for good measure.
I casually swaggered in with my baggy pants though my underwear was neatly hidden as it should be.
(Seriously, why isn't there a law about that? and since when is it awesome that people can see your underwear, your UNDERWEAR?!) and a smirk that made it clear, "yeah, I'm here.  I don't care.  What's it to you?"  I was faced with the first teacher on duty, my English teacher whom I actually really liked though he liked to tease me for being a goody two shoes Mormon, lovingly of course.  He was the only teacher that hadn't sent a stack of superfluous homework for me to work on.  My computer teacher, who genuinely liked to tease me about being Mormon, assigned me two papers, one of which was to define what my ring "CTR" stood for.  Ouch.  That one hurt just a little.  I made sure to bear my testimony nice and strong in that one.  I may have even made it twice as long as it was supposed to be.
It was kind of like prison, without the cable or video games.  We got two bathroom breaks and two drink breaks during the day, one person at a time.  When it was lunch time we were marched in a single file line to the cafeteria where we were forced to eat at one place (my awesome high school had a food court) and then had to sit five seats apart in silence.
And that really is the whole story.  Exciting, isn't it?  Do you still want to be friends even though you know about my past?  I would understand.  Or maybe I wouldn't.  Just don't forget that I have a shiv hidden in my geometry book.  Or maybe I don't.  I can be wildly capricious and unpredictable like that.

What's a post about high school without a picture, I ask you.
Forgive the quality of the picture.  This was back in the days before digital cameras, when people had to put their head under the cloth and hold up a flash.

20 comments:

JJ said...

We appreciate your honesty. This explains quite a lot.

Love the photo and that Clark is in it. Yowsah is right!

michaelstubbs said...

I am just going to make my own guess about who the crushes were... You know, you really have a shady past. I mean, I had long hair, baggy pants, and even facial hair, but I never ditched class without a mother's note. We should survey the day planner kids and the baggy pants kids and see who ended up where.

Amy Lynn said...

Red-faced Mr. Muth (who accused me of being on drugs once) put me in 3DAYS OF IN SCHOOL SUSPENSION to make an object lesson of me to my "type". You should have seen PKO in his office...glad I wasn't that red-faced, double chinned man! Hung out with a couple kids in for possessing drugs on school property, one kid with a concealed weapon, and me...the cheerleader. Joke was on him though...it was the week of pom try-outs and I got to leave early to fluff my ponytail and apply lip gloss before the try-outs. Maybe I should stop commenting and just blog the story...

Amy Lynn said...

But I will say this...I NEVER knew this little secret part of your past. What a rebel! And it made me laugh out loud...really loud. Now we are truly bonded for infinity and beyond! Any other Oscarsons want to confess about in-school suspensions? C'mon Chip...

Niki said...

What a rebel! I can totally see how they needed to make an example of you :)

Kelly Mo said...

My eye was immediately drawn to the gal in the denim vest with the scrunchy in her awesome hair. Man, early nineties were great!

Anonymous said...

In reference to awe-some hair denim vest girl:
Is that a SHIRT the girl is wearing the right of denim vest girls, or a Christmas tree skirt with sleeves.
Yikes!
Keep the funnies coming Emily

Mary Sunshine said...

Haha! Sorry you got caught! It sounds like you had a great sense of humor and punky teenage attitude even if you were a strait laced, goody goody Mormon. I was strait laced goody goody Mormon girl in most ways. I was a horrible skipper though. I frequently skipped class to hide out in the Seminary Building next door or just at a friend's house. Unfortunately, while my friend's were able to maintain their honor student status doing that, I was not so talented. Oh, well. I still got to go to BYU (even if my mom did have to write a letter begging them to take me, as she claims). I still have recurring nightmares about skipping classes and not being able to graduate, etc.

Abby said...

Ok, since when do pictures from high school look like something from the 80s? You are OLD. And you are a cute little nerd in your ISS and that teacher who made you write about your CTR ring is mean. Or smart...
I know who your crushes were...right there and there. One of them was mine too! Oh what would one of your high school crushes be without a paesky little sister to join you? And hey--there's Kara! Hi Kara!

Abby said...

And I love how MISERABLE some of those kids look to be there. Classic.

Abby said...

ps that's so weird that you married a guy from your seminary class.

Natalie said...

Em, it is totally hilarious to me that you remember so much of that story! The details. I had to go to detention for tardies once, but I don't remember it all like you. That picture is so funny. I know one of the crushes, you'll have to email me the other, now I'm curious. :) Ha, ha, Chad is a principal. I saw him "standing guard" at Cami's graduation last weekend.

Tiffany said...

Are you in a church building in this picture? If not, then your school looks a whole lot like the inside of Mormon churches around the world! HA!

mo said...

Did I know that you were such a dangerous criminal...what's a shiv, anyway? I know one of the crushes...and I thought I knew the other but I don't see him in the pic. E mail me!

Suzie Petunia said...

Tiff, that was her seminary class. So yes, it was taken at church.

I wish I had led as wild and exciting a life as you in high school.

Maleen said...

Wait,

Too much to say.

Firstly, let's say that I am so straight arrow, that I actually had to ask my husband what a shiv is. I mean, I had a good idea. I just wanted to make sure.

Second, I have told you about the time I took a butcher knife to school, right? I posted that in 2008. Were you reading back then? Here is the link in case you missed it.

http://caziertm.blogspot.com/search?q=Butcher+Knife

I did get caught once for skipping, but the truancy officer who caught me made my boyfriend (who was with me) take the detention for me. I think it was because I cried (a little). And I only cried because I skipped to go buy pudding for a recipe for my mom and not for anything cool. I thought that was a lame reason to tarnish my goody two-shoes record.

Third, Clark looks too cool for school. My husband is not a shining example of high school hunkiness. I think I have laughed at all his dance pictures. I am very glad I met him post mission. Your husband however, probably broke some hearts. How cute that you went to school together.

Is that Kristen Duke?

Okay, I'll stop blathering already.

Charlotte said...

I love your story, but can't think of a witty comment because I am in shock. Clark was one of those facial hair high school kids? THAT is a sorted past.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

why do I not have this picture? Will you email it to me without the typing on it? Why am I barefoot in the chapel? That was a great story, and although I knew about it, it was still fun to read more details! Love how your teachers knew about your CTR ring and such.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

P.S. I only knew about one crush...who is the other???

Anonymous said...

I rushed this out to the pool to show Chad and Kristtin, saying "This is about Emily Oscarson getting ISS"! Chad immediately grinned and said, Yeah, that was so awesome!". Great story and well told! I'm afraid the ISS stories he deals with these days mostly lack the humor and harmlessness of your escapade (which you may or may not have committed!). --- Sis.Stolle