Monday, August 30, 2010

The happiest day ever...and a long time coming.

Friday was indeed the happiest day ever.
We've been anticipating it for six months....counting each day.

We were so excited for him to come home that we plastered his face right to the front of our house.

Then we went to the mouth of the river and watched them make their way in...

And then we stood smack dab in front of the sub as they pulled up to the pier...since Clark had officially been relieved as Navigator and it was his last run, he got to ride topside, all the way in.   Before he always had to be down in control directing them in.  If you had super seeing eyes, you would see him among one of those camis up top there...just on the left...and he would wave every time the girls waved...and wave even more each time they yelled "we love you Dad" in unison.
My heart was in my throat for most of the morning.

Until I got to see the girls do this...and then my heart fell right out of my chest, there onto the pier.

There were lots of tears that they couldn't explain other than "I am just happy that he is home."  And a couple of them wouldn't let go for quite some time.  Haley had tears before it even began.  She came into my room that morning at 7:30, said "Dad is coming home today" and burst into tears.

There was also a brother there to greet him, and introduce him to his new wife and daughter.  Nolan's boat just happens to be moored to the same pier.

And then I made him kiss me.
We are really grateful that Spencer and Sho came to document it for us...and also for the sacrifice that Clark's Dad made to come all the way from Texas to be there too.  (Follow that link if you want to read all the really nice things he said about us...and to look at all his pictures.  They are nice.)




I was standing at the sink that afternoon getting our celebratory dinner ready and saw Clark playing on the trampoline with the girls.  After watching for a while I decided that our life felt all complete again.
And it was a really good feeling....especially because he is so completely signed out of the boat that he doesn't have to go back.  Ever.  As in, NOT EVER.  That's a good feeling.

The end...until we move in a few weeks.  Until then, I get an entire month with Clark.  And that makes me happy too.

37 comments:

Oscarson Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscarson Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscarson Photography said...

It was an incredible weekend. Thank you for letting us share it with you!

Abby said...

I just sat and read that on skype out loud with spencer and BAWLED like a baby. There are not words, so I'm glad he captured that with pictures. Seeing those girls greet their daddy--Niagra Falls!

Abby said...

And when I tried to comment first, typing with one hand bc of baby, he beat me to it...jerk.

Oscarson Photography said...

Well... I care the mostest. So there.

Now move to DC, gang!

Natalie said...

Tears, really, in my eyes. You guys are such an adorable family. That little part about Haley reminded me so much of my Sam. What awesome pictures. And can I just say thank you to you, Clark, and all the other brave men, women, and families that make such a huge sacrifice so that I can go to sleep safely each night, and live in this great place. Love you all! Enjoy.

Abby said...

I'm so happy for your reunion. Your family is inspiring and I hope that your new adventures will be wonderful and full of joy TOGETHER! Thanks for letting me share it through your cousin Jared. :)

Natalie Rose said...

Wahoo! So happy for you all...best wishes with the move and house search. Please let me know if there's anything at all I can do to help! Enjoy your time together now that you can breath again. :o)

Nic said...

You are a great blessing to this family more than you know. I needed that tonite. Your post put me in a place I need to be. I am so happy for you to have him home.

Mary Sunshine said...

Oh, congratulations! I'm so happy for you all! You have to be one of the cutest families I know. I love all the matching outfits and your red shoes with that black dress. Awesome! The timeless, most wonderful picture, of course, is the two of you kissing. Welcome home, Clark!

mo said...

Niagra Falls right here in Västerhaninge Sweden! I am just soo soooo sooooo happy for you all. Enjoy the next few weeks....and more.

Vi said...

Niagara Falls is right! I am so excited for you guys- I can't imagine what the past months have been like for you and the girls but you made it through... stronger and wiser right? ;)
I love that it was photographed and love even more the coordinating outfits you all wore! You guys are such a great family! We're going to miss you all so much!

laurie said...

I'm soooo happy for you guys - tears flowing down my face, reminded me of my Dad's homecomings. I am so happy you guys are together again!!!!

Amy Lynn said...

Oh Em...I just read you and Spencer's blogs back to back and now I'm going to need more than a few tissues...I need a big, absorbent bath towel. What an amazing, happy, wonderful, unforgettable day! Your family is together again...and my heart is so happy. Wish we were there...every day...to jump on the tramp and eat your yummy food and just love your family.

Jenny said...

Niagra Falls in Texas too! It started with the banner on the front porch and kept going. To see the girls arms all tangled around Clark really got to me. I think you know what joy is. Love you.

Sunnie said...

i have to admit i got a little teary eyed. i am so happy for you guys. i can only imagine what it has been like. i love all the pics and really love the coordinating outfits for his homecoming day. so cute!

Lucky Mommy said...

Was that his last deployment ever? I cannot imagine the joy and relief you are feeling! Those sweet girls and you have really been strong and I am so, so happy that you are all together again. Enjoy!!!

Sarah said...

Yeah for daddy's coming home...and an extra special yeah for mom's who deal with life alone for so long. You deserve him home for a long, long time.

I LOVE that you all matched...Ryan has a couple of things from that line at Gymboree too. :)

Um, is it a little bitter-sweet for Clark that this is it?

Sarah said...

Yeah for daddy's coming home...and an extra special yeah for mom's who deal with life alone for so long. You deserve him home for a long, long time.

I LOVE that you all matched...Ryan has a couple of things from that line at Gymboree too. :)

Um, is it a little bitter-sweet for Clark that this is it?

Suzie Petunia said...

Happy, grateful tears of joy. Thank you Clark for sacrificing so much to serve our country. Thank YOU EMILY for sacrificing just as much. I love you both so much. I am just so happy. Happy, happy for you. All of you. You are finally all together as you should be.

Berly said...

YAY!! So happy for your family. I think I looked at those pictures over and over again because they made me so happy....I am so glad you feel complete. Enjoy your month with you COMPLETE family!!

Rainie said...

I'm so happy the big day finally came. You are a beautiful family!

michaelstubbs said...

We are happy for you too.

Maleen said...

Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy! That post makes me so blissfully happy. And I can't believe how old Mia looks in that one picture.

Once again, I am so happy for you.

scraphappymama said...

I am so glad that your hubby is home. I don't know how you do it - you are Superwoman!!! I'm so glad that Clark is home to stay!! The pictures of your girls greeting daddy are priceless!! Enjoy your complete family!!

Rynell said...

You made me cry. In a good way.

I'm so happy for you and yours!

Megan said...

I have lots of happy chills and tears for you all. A most beautiful family. Congrats.

Suebee said...

FINALLY!!!! WELCOME HOME CLARK! JOB WELL DONE EMILY (Clark too I'm sure)! Can't wait to see you guys. I always cry at homecomings even if I only see the pictures.

Suebee said...

FINALLY!!!! WELCOME HOME CLARK! JOB WELL DONE EMILY (Clark too I'm sure)! Can't wait to see you guys. I always cry at homecomings even if I only see the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Niagara Falls in KC, as well!! So happy for all of you! Glad he is home. I feel safer with him in DC!:-)

Love,
Mamaw

Anonymous said...

Niagara Falls in KC, as well!! So happy for all of you! Glad he is home. I feel safer with him in DC!:-)

Love,
Mamaw

Charlotte said...

I am so happy for you, having him home and to yourself. Seeing your WHOLE family on Sunday was lovely.

perry ann said...

Just LOVE your reunion pics!! There is truly nothing better, except that Clark is relieved from the boat. Awesome. We love ya'll!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

It brings me absolute and utter joy to see you and your girls in coordinating ensembles. You rocked that photo shoot...I mean, welcome home. LOVE it all! My eyes stung as I read about the lump in your throat and I am so happy for you that you get to hang side by side with your man for 2 months straight. Happy happy for your family.

Unknown said...

every time clark comes home I cry. I don't think I've ever met him. But seriously. Every time.

I'm glad spencer and sho were there too:)

loves.

nancy eileen said...

thanks so much for sharing the return of your heart to your family.
Beautiful!
As the daughter of an Army officer, I can sure relate to your childrens views!
LOVES!