Homeschooling.
I have read a lot about it lately. In my need to stand up for myself I feel like maybe I should clarify a couple of things.
Now correct me if I am wrong, but I feel as though there is a great misconception out there about "public-schoolers". I feel as though many homeschoolers are under the impression that we turn our children over to someone else out of laziness, or default-that we are turning over all educational endeavors over to someone else simply because it's expected, or it's "easier". Maybe some people do. But the majority of people that decide to send their kids to public school do so because they believe in it, they support it and they trust the system. They are able to trust the people that have been trained to teach their children, they trust their intentions and they trust their judgments. That is an awful lot of trust to put into "strangers". But you know what? Any responsible parent doesn't do this blindly. They are just as involved in the education of their child as a homeschooler, with the exception of perhaps choosing their curriculum and the speed at which they must excel to be ahead of all of their peers. A responsible parent gets to know their child's teacher, they are involved in the learning process, they actively take part in what their kids are learning throughout the year. They are partners with these educators. We have had some not-so-great teachers over the years, but you know what? That's life. It has taught us to be even more involved. Sometimes you have to supplement more and sometimes it is the greatest gift you can give your child; to respect the experience and training of others, their knowledge, their passion for teaching. And it has to be said that some of the neatest, exquisitely wonderful people I have ever known and loved have been my kids' teachers, and my own.
Just because I send my children to public schools doesn't mean that I brush off their questions about the world around them, how things work, how, when, where, why. Every moment is a teaching moment for a parent. That doesn't turn off when they come home from school.
I know that a lot of these homeschoolers that share so much of what they do and why they do it are most likely doing it for a noble or good reason, I hope so. But I don't think they realize how insulting they can be sometimes to the rest of us that are choosing public school for its good merits. I don't think that the public school system turns out idiots, or imbeciles. Idiots and imbeciles are more likely the product of how they receive information, not where they get it from. I don't want to be the sole provider of every little thing for my family. I don't think that is how we are meant to experience this life. We are meant to learn, stretch, grow, experience and choose. I respect those that choose to homeshool for the right reasons (naturally those "right reasons" are a matter of perspective and opinion, I acknowledge that.) There are a lot of very capable, wise, loving parents out there. I respect our rights to do what we feel is best for our families.
I just wanted to make sure that we are all clear here, right? No assumptions, no misunderstandings, no judgements being passed by anyone.
This is me backing away from my non-soapbox.
Thank you.
18 comments:
Sounds like you had a run-in. Whatever the case, I totally agree with you. I try to get into the classroom with my children as much as possible, so I can be involved, but I wouldn't take away that experience. How will our children ever learn to deal with real social situations unless they are in them?
And how anyone could homeschool with a baby in the house is beyond me. They are better people than I am for sure. And thank goodness there are still people that study to be educators despite the lack of pay and respect they often deserve. I heart teachers.
Plus, home-school kids are totally weird, right? I mean, come on.
Thank you. You have expressed my thoughts better than I could have. Well done.
I liked your comments. I have actually thought about home schooling at least one of my kids who has had a tough go of it in the public school system. But after a lot of thought, we feel he still is getting more out of public school than I at this point could give him at home. But I agree, some people do look down on you for sending your kids to public school, and that is really frustrating. I feel the same as you, you still have to be really involved with all that your child does, and get to know the teachers. That makes all the difference.
Thanks for that. My boys are starting pre-school this week and I am thinking a lot about what and how they will be taught. Well thought out.
Ditto! and besides where do children learn how to interact with their piers if not in the school environment?
I totally agree. In this area there are a lot of home schoolers. They are always making me feel like I'm a bad mom because I send my kid to public school. It is a choice and everyone needs to make the best choice for them. I wish that I could write that as well as you did.
These are the reasons I myself do not homeschool:
1. I'm not smart enough.
2. My kids don't want structured learning time with me. They need my love and affection and all those things you can't learn in school.
3. I believe that strong, confident, righteous children are needed in public schools. Their examples and friendship are needed, and it's our job to make them strong and confident. They can bless lives, they can be blessed. Speaking from experience, they learn to appreciate that they stand out and others are watching, and it makes them even stronger.
--A high school math teacher in our ward was just baptized bc year after year the Mormon kids stood out for all the right reasons. What a blessing for her husband and two young daughters now!
I don't judge others for homeschooling bc they obviously love their kids and feel it's best. However, I personally don't understand the benefit.
I vote yes on what you just said. I have been thinking about this homeschooling debate myself recently, and you summed up really well, I think the crux of the issue.
I have considered it.. but I actually AM too lazy and incompetent-- so choose not to.
I think it totally depends on the child, and the parent.. and if it works for them.. SUPER. If not.. let's be grateful for "free" education.. (and cafeteria food. OH how I loved me some cafeteria pizza.)
Amen.
I get annoyed with those that assume I am just too lazy or don't care about my children enough to homeschool. If I thought it was the best choice for my children I would do it. I happen to think it isn't, so I don't. I try to give other parents that same benefit of the doubt.
Don't Moms have enough to do without being responsible for school, too? Homeschooling is fine if that's your bag. I know a lot of families who have cute, well-adjusted, social kids who home school them. But for all of public school's failings, I learned more about choosing the right at school than any where else. I also had the opportunity to do things I REALLY loved: art, music, theater.
You've said it so eloquently.
With that said, I am so ready for my kids to be back in school. As much as I love summer break, I am READY.
Oh, amen and amen! I have many friends who homeschool...I love them all and admire them. Throughout the years, quite a few, both friends and acquaintances, have recommended that I homeschool Nya, because to be honest, we haven't really found the right fit for her "special needs" in the public school system. We haven't found what "works". Moving the child every year doesn't really help either...this will be her 4th elementary school and she will be in 3rd grade. I have high hopes for our two years here in VA.
That being said, I have chosen not to homeschool her for many reasons, (the main one being that she and I would probably end up never speaking to each other again for the rest of our lives). But, although I sometimes wonder if she's gaining anything, I see how she has touched the lives of those who teach her and those around her. There's just something about her that people are drawn to. She's a special girl. I think she has something to add to the mix.
I also agree that it builds character and teaches our children how to interact and deal with all sorts of people in general. The inability of people in our society to communicate with each other, I believe, is one of our society's greatest weaknesses.
So, thanks for stepping up on your non-soap box. It was a much needed breath of fresh air! Looking forward to seeing you in a few months. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have the boxes out of the house by then, but don't hold your breath. I'm not, for sure! :o)
I’ll give you the perspective of a homeschooled kid.
1) Hopefully we’re not one of the homeschooling families that have offended you. We do not think we're "better" because we opt to homeschool. Homeschool moms do not think you are lazy or incompetent because you send your kids to public school. They just think you are overwhelmed. And guess what? They are too. We have simply chosen another option for education.
2) Homeschooled kids are often perceived as "confined and un-socialized." That is pure ridiculousness. We are perfectly well balanced and socialized--we just don't spend five days a week socializing with the exact same peer group (some of whom we would be much better off not socializing with anyway.) Contrary to popular belief, there are many opportunities for socialization outside of public school: many so-called "socially challenged" homeschoolers spend their afternoons in real-life social situations. As a 15 year old homeschooled teenager, I am tremendously grateful for my great opportunities to socialize—I get to interact not only with people my age, but adults and younger kids too. I consider that invaluable. I also get to interact with other people who share my interests (like music) and have the opportunity to serve others in a way that public schooled kids just don’t have the time to do. I even babysit for this blogger so she can go to appointments! Trust me, we aren't a different species--we integrate into society as well-rounded adults, too.
By the way, homeschooling moms are not the "sole providers" for every little thing in the family. Homeschooling allows me to learn and experience from many, many different sources and settings--which gives me fantastic opportunities to "learn, stretch, grow, experience, and choose," just like you said.
So, in closing, I strongly believe it all comes down to what is best for each individual family. I am most certainly not anti-public school, nor do I think that every single family in the world should homeschool. But it works for us.
Very well said, Samantha. Your family really is a great model. We love, respect and admire the way your family has prioritized and balanced family, education, and service.
i love my kids so much and would love to homeschool, i LIKE them around me, it breaks my heart, but I send them to school because I think it is best for them.
Post a Comment