Friday, June 26, 2009

Parking space for rent...


Need somewhere to park your double wide? Haley just lost her second top tooth and my oh my. Before losing any teeth she had a pretty good space goin'....not quite 'Madonna big' but enough that we were confident there would be plenty of room for those grown up, Chiclet teeth to come in. She lost the first one when 'hanging' around Grandma's house, literally. Two and a half years ago she was hanging from the chin up bar at Grandma's house and fell--that is where her tooth made contact with cousin Izzy's head. So yes, that tooth has been gone for two and a half years!! It makes deciphering the year for school pictures difficult. We should have had it temporarily replaced with a nice, shiny, silver tooth. In any case, we have come to love her space and I'm afraid that it's been there so long she will look totally foreign to me when something actually grows in there...if something actually grows in there. She used to have people ask if she was missing both front teeth when that was the only one because the space was so big, now, well, see for yourself. You could park not only a double-wide but have room for your big rig too, and maybe a doghouse or a rusted car with no wheels. She has taken to calling her teeth "her fangs" and asked specifically to say family prayer last night so she could use as many THee, THys and THou's as she could. None of her teeth have come out easily, two have been pulled by a dentist and two have come out with blood, sweat and tears. What's a blog post without a little blood? She was freaking out so dramatically that it was all over the sink, counter and mirror. After our little "extraction" the other night, I now have to justify at least four times a day that there is a difference between a parent feeling a need to "trick" you and a parent lying to you. It was hanging by a few threads folks, something had to be done. She had exhausted her own bravery and so I asked to "very gently" wiggle it one more time. I knew the precise angle and force that had to be inflicted, and I knew I had only one shot at it. Ew. I felt tender tooth roots pop from my flick. I sure hope it's a few months before anyone else loses a tooth because they won't trust me for sure. The tooth fairy left her a little envelope with a little note written in font so small you need a magnifying glass. It's a good thing her eyes are better than mine (and that our computer's writing program will let you increase the magnifying of the page.)

12 comments:

Maleen said...

She still looks adorable, but how will she bite into ANYTHING?? Those fangs have their work cut out for them.

Sho said...

Oh, poor Haley...I like her fangs though!

Oscarson Photography said...

You did it! I can't believe you did it! She looks fantastic. Perfectly primed for a few years of pure adolescent awkwardness. She is still so cute though!

JJ said...

Ahhh yes. The fangs. I still think those may be better than the chiclet teeth that replace those perfect, tiny, little white pearls.

Congrats on pulling it. I can't do that. Thankfully, my daughter has extricated all of her own to date.

Charlotte said...

It is always a tragedy when the two teeth are missing half a year away from Christmas! Maybe you can video tape "All I want for Christmas" to replay closer to the date.

BTW- I have completely convinced myself that there is a huge difference between lying and using creative language to trick. (Like when I go to Burger King so when Joseph asks if I went to McDonalds without him, I can honestly say, "No.")

Carrie Ann said...

No corn on the cob for a while...

Natalie said...

That last picture is Scharman all the way! When did your kids get so big?

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I didn't realize that gap before was from just one tooth. That is double wide, indeed. I don't like pulling teeth, Michael has to do it.

Amy Lynn said...

We so desperately need you. We have until next Wednesday to get two teeth to come out...one from each boy. Matthew's is almost there...Jake's is going to need some serious work. Chris has offered $5.00 AND upped the stakes today by throwing in a Cold Stone ice-cream WITH any mix-in they want. It would beat $75.00 per extraction and all the drama that will go with it if the dentist ends of doing it. Haley and Jake need to get together...his space would definitely give her space a run for its money!

Emma Jo said...

Seriously, I don't remember so much drama with losing teeth as a child. They just got loose and fell out. Kids these days.
Unfortunately Haley remembers very well what getting teeth pulled by a dentist is like, "they give you medicine so you don't feel anything!"--this coming from the girl who freaked out so badly the first time they tried to do sealants that he made us leave and try again another time.

Suzie Petunia said...

Is there anything more darling than a toothless grin? She is such a cutie!

Henry still hasn't lost his top two teeth. He lost his bottom two at least 2 years ago, but the top aren't even loose! The dentist isn't concerned, so I guess he'll go around with teeth that look WAY too small in his huge noggin for a little while longer...

Valerie said...

I think you are a very brave momma. You pulled and made your child bleed! Heartless! Really, though, I wish I had been that brave and pulled the twins' teeth out. It was painful to watch them eat with a tooth just hanging in the front there. I LOVE the toothless smiles! Haley's is great! And I'm glad to know that it took this long - I thought maybe my kids had to wait the longest to lose teeth!!