Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Pimp my pantry...please.

My name is Emily and I am an organizer. I wish this meant that my house was perfectly put together. I have four kids, 'member? But, I once made the decision last minute to drive 24 hours with my sister and our 4 small kids from Texas to Utah to help our other sister organize her house. It brings me great, nay, tremendous pleasure. So imagine my excitement when my friend sent me an e mail that contained this picture.
"I want to go to there."
Do you know what kind of contentment this brings into my life? Well, not a lot seeing as how it is not my pantry...but the possibilities.
First I would have to live in a house that has a pantry. Don't get me wrong...I love my walk-in pantry right now...Someday...and while we're on the subject of closets and organization...
The other day I had an epiphany. If I never have a boy, and my girls all happen to wear the same size as teenagers, and I live in a house with a small spare bedroom...
I am going to turn it into our very own Elle closet....without all the ridiculously priced items...just normally priced stuff. A solid wall (or two) of adorable clothes, racks of shoes and shelves of accessories. There would never be any bickering or fighting over who wears what and what belongs to who and all would be right in the world. A Mom of four girls has to have a dream, right? I mean before they actually grow into pre-teens and teens and reality hits me in the face like a wet fish. The closet though, it's a good idea, no?
(Organized closets give me way too much satisfaction. Case in point: I just spent 30 minutes googling images of closets. I couldn't stop.)

17 comments:

Charlotte said...

Ha! I spent the morning drooling through the container store's web site. I even looked up to see where the closest one was so I could drool over them IRL.

JJ said...

I want to go to there (too)! Take me with you! I love to be organized but I'm not that great at the actual execution. I have a pantry project I've put on hold indefinitely. If you're ever in the neighborhood...

katyvee said...

"til' reality hits you in the face like a wet fish.."
hee-hee.
You be funny.
I went from a walk-in master closet the size of my current kitchen.. to a teensy-tiny slider door one (ya know, where you can only look at one side of your clothes at a time) and from a lovely walk-in pantry.. to a NOT walk-in pantry. I feel your pain.. and fantasize of tidiness and order with you. We'll just dwell on tasting the bitter, to one day, again, appreciate the sweet.
I like sweet more.

Maleen said...

Oh my gosh, I totally have the same dream about the closet and the girls all being the same size (in a perfect world right?), and then I really laughed out loud about the wet fish.
My husband (playing video games next to me) even stopped for a moment to ask what was so funny.

p.s. He has no sisters and he has NO idea what is coming.

Abby said...

You know I could use help in the closet department. It's these darn little non-custom houses that stand in our way! (Oh, and our income and stuff too.) My dream is to a. have the amazing organization and then b. have so little belongings that there is one item per shelf or even empty shelves. I hate having "stuff" SO MUCH. I do a DI clean every couple of months--no joke.

Suzie Petunia said...

I am waiting for the day you show up at my house and volunteer to organize everything. I was born with your desire, but unfortunately not your skilz.

Stop walking into your pantry. You'll hurt yourself. (funny picture though.)

I love your idea for your future teenage girls. Maybe if you start talking to them about it now it will become an inevitable reality. Luckily my two that are the closest in size (Oscar and Henry) are boys and they don't mind sharing as much as girls would, I think. Sometimes when I'm folding their clothes I can't tell who's an who's. They are seriously only 1 size apart and its kind of freaky. They share underwear and socks freely. (Is that gross? I mean, I still wash them in between wearings.) And now you know way more than you wanted to about my boys and their clothes.

The End

Oscarson Photography said...

My sister's are crazy... and I like them a lot.

Berly said...

The closest is a tremendous idea - I may steal it. One day, I will, I know I will have a house that I can organize.

Lucky Mommy said...

After I recovered from my shock thinking that was your actual pantry, I like the idea but who can afford all of those organizing contraptions? It's a great dream and I admire your aspirations. Did you see 13 going on 30 where she has that amazing walk in closet with even her sunglasses organized?

meg said...

I just wish your pantry picture was a video so that I could see you SHAKE IT.

Amy Lynn said...

Ah, that was a super happy moment. Just a couple days ago I reorganized all my Tshirts into neat stacks of short sleeve to wear alone, short sleeve to wear under other things, long sleeve to layer, long sleeve to layer under things, workout shirts that can ONLY be worn in the basement, etc. I really don't have this much time on my hands but oh man do I love an organized closet!

Emma Jo said...

I would be flattered if any of you happened to think that the picture of my pantry was my own rear end...How sweet. It belongs to my 7 year old.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I would love to have an organized pantry. Nice bum.

bigskygirl said...

I too have pantry envy! Of course, organized pantries (& closets for that matter) only exist in my dreams, not my home.

Brett and Amy said...

Did Laurie send you that pic? I love it! Remember when you so generously shoveled your way into our garage to attempt some sort of organization out of the chaos? Thank goodness for moves and forced goodwill runs.

laurie said...

I love the pantry picture. I too thought that was your cute little butt. I was wondering how you did it? Did you have it on a timer? Did you get Haley to take it for you? Then I saw you put that it was Haley. Hey, I would of had everybody still believing that was my cute little butt :)

mo said...

It's still a very funny picture. I feel your pantry pain. My pantry is also my coat closet right now. My coat smells like onions sometimes. Oh well.