Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Chilly Willy

Today we thought it would be fun....
to keep the kids home from school
use no electricity
take the fridge and freezer food on a little field trip to the back porch (where they experience what it would be like to NOT live in a kitchen)
coat my car in a bubble of ice thus rendering us immobile (and turning our driveway into an ice skating arena)attempt to keep a fire going ALL day to warm a "way too small" area...(I think we stayed in a 15 foot diameter of each other all day long)
and set up a tent in the living room allowing the girls to fill it with as much "stuff" as possible.
But the ice was real pretty-like. And I enjoyed kicking the thick layer of ice off the trampoline from underneath on one of my many many trips to the wood pile.
We asked probably a dozen people during the summer about what we could expect for winter weather...they were all WAY off.

27 comments:

Kelly Mo said...

Boy do I LOVE Phoenix, AZ this time of year. (Not jealous of your situation, by the way)

Vee said...

We had a really bad winter the first year we were in CT. The rest were relatively mild. I definitely don't miss the ice part of living in Connecticut. Good luck, spring is gorgeous by the way. Just something to look forward too.

Fireball said...

Yikes! Stay warm!

meg said...

I'm so glad you survived without eating eachother! Please tell me your beautiful, delightful children go back to school tomorrow.

JJ said...

Don't you just love Mother Nature? She does have a sense of humor.

I'm glad you all survived and it even sounds like you managed, yet again, to make it fun. You guys are amazing!

mo said...

Oh my goodness! Bless all of your frozen little hearts. Please keep that fire going and stay warm. That kind of fun gets old after about 5 minutes.

Charlotte said...

I had to drive my mom to JFK airport in the storm yesterday. Luckily, it didn't hit us quite so bad.

Oscarson Photography said...

Holy cow! Thats a serious ice storm. I hope you all stay warm! If you survive, just think of the memories!!... then move to Hawaii!!

Suebee said...

Huh, we never did that while we were up there, wonder why we didn't think of that adventure. So sorry for your misery. Just think though, when you do your recap of your year next New Year's you will hardly remember this.

Sadie Lou said...

to me that sounds like such a fun and cozy day(when we had 80 degree weather today!) i hope you stayed warm! :)

Berly said...

AHHHH! I thought of you when they showed the weather on the news. Crazy!!

Carrie Ann said...

What the crap? It's almost like you are a pioneer. Just pretend it's Dinosaurland... or that you're a nature baby... in the winter.

Suzie Petunia said...

Is your power back yet? Wait! How did you write this post without power? I think you made the whole thing up.

I hope your "snow day" doesn't turn into a "snow month" like we had. NOT fun.

Mandee said...

I agree....I am enjoying Phoenix, especially after reading your post. I LOVE the black and white picture by the way!

Kristin said...

That looks COLD!! I have been disappointed at our apparent lack of winter here, but looking at those pictures makes me kind of glad about it now. It makes me cold just looking at those pictures! Stay warm!

mo said...

Are you still there? Are you all popsicles yet? What is happening? Enquiring minds want to know.

Sarah said...

I remember those days well! I would have told you the truth!! At least you have some pretty cute kiddos to keep you company.

SP said...

We're sorry. What a storm. We got something like that a month ago, but not nearly as thick

TD said...

Wow! I thought the snow in Utah was bad. Your girls look like they had fun.

Emma Jo said...

OK, so we only were without power for about 9 hours...but the kids were home from school...and I was BORED people, BORED!...even though I somehow accomplished reading an entire 500 page book all in that day. We may have eaten nothing but brownies and rice krispy treats and my house was sure a mess but I did finish my book and nobody killed anybody else.

Lucky Mommy said...

Ok, I was just thinking about you today because it was in the 50's here in CA and I was bemoaning the fact that I will never have a quaint New England winter. I guess I should just enjoy the sunshine. Our first winter in Virginia we were snowed in for 4 days with an ice storm. But we had electricity, and no kids!

Twinlinebackers said...

First you complain that school is canceled and there's no snow. Now you complain school is canceled and there IS snow. The storm came just to make you happy you know.

If you were bored that's your own fault. I would have come over to play with you and you know it. Then you could have had NINE bodies in that little space and we'd have been TOASTY.

Phsaw. The weather here is practically warm this year. Just kidding. This probably will be your coldest snowiest winter. But next time you ask people what New England winter weather is like, you might reminder them you're from Texas. Perspective is everything.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i'm glad that your food is in a nice huddle to keep each other cozy. glad you have a fireplace. glad you got power back quickly.

Natalie said...

Come to Texas. come to Texas!

Amy Lynn said...

Oh boy...I'm freezing and stir crazy just reading about it. But I definitely think a good book and Rice Krispy treats were the right approach. And I love the tent...

Jangs said...

Ok I am really late posting. But good grief!. Hope the power is back on

Valerie said...

So here's my advice for what NOT to do during New England winter weather. Don't park your car UNDER any trees. Just sayin'.