Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just love me!

It's OK, you can say it...my baby hates me. I mean after all, I do let her fall over about a gazillion times a day bonking her head and eliciting at least 2 minutes of pathetic "I fell over" crying.
Baby learning to pull herself up to standing + fuzzy socks to keep 'said' baby's feet warm in the frigid CT winter + wood floors = a baby who falls down, a lot.
But that's not even the point. For the first time in all my motherdom, I have given birth to a non-cuddler. Anyone who knows my husband or the family from whence he sprang, knows that we, by right, are physical people....my husband more than me. They are just touchy feely, and that's OK. I mean, I rather like it. I have given birth to three "little touchy feelers". Haley tries on a regular basis to coil her lanky 7 year old legs up and crawl into our laps (which consequently are shrinking due to our age and slowing metabolisms.) Heck, our 5 year old still crawls into our bed nearly every single night (as she has done her entire life) and claims that she can only sleep when she is touching someone. And Mia is always up for a good cuddle. Her favorite game is to tell me to stand still, then she backs up 15 paces and runs to me with her arms open expecting a swing up into the air and a hug that crushes her ribcage...and we do that 4 times a day.
Occasionally we even find them all in bed together even though their own beds are all of 3 feet away from one another.

But my baby is no such cuddler. When I take her to bed I put her blanket on my shoulder, she lays her head down for 1.4 seconds before arching her back and looking longingly at her bed. Hey, I'm grateful that the girl likes to sleep and I'm sure I understand her need to "personal space" better than anybody but when was the last time she let me rock her sweetly to dreamland? Like, never. So imagine my bitter disappointment on Sunday when she was cranky all through our first meeting...I handed her off to a darling and willing girl that offered to watch her while I taught primary and came to retrieve her at the end of church peacefully dreaming in her arms. "Oh she is sweet, she fell asleep like 5 minutes after I got her." Great. Do I smell? Am I bristly? Is she punishing me for not nursing her as long as the others? Whyyyy?! (imagine me shaking my fists at the heavens.) I think this just instills a fear in me that I am simply going to have to have more children. I mean, I can't tie up the end of our offspring with a non-cuddler, I haven't had my fix of snuggling sweet Scharman baby heads...though I do sneak a whiff or two in when Hazel is not paying attention...and I squeeze her as much as possible while she makes the the-air-is-being-squeezed-out-of-my-lungs-but-it's-kinda-funny sort of giggle.
I really have nothing else to say except "Love me Hazel! Just love me!"

16 comments:

Sarah said...

You are so funny! Maybe Hazel will grow out of it...I thought Ryan wouldn't be a snuggle bunny (Bud still is), but she's turned into one. THere is hope. And no, you don't smell...but I've only met you twice so maybe things have changed.

michaelstubbs said...

Our boy was a non-snuggler. For the first two or three years he never laid his head down on our shoulders or let himself be cradled. He's over it now that we want him to do everything on his own...

Lucky Mommy said...

You're so funny! I have one who likes to snuggle and one who doesn't. Sam is too wiggly to snuggle but every once in a while he'll surprise us. He likes to get under the covers with us in the morning and pretend to sleep in our bed. Maybe she'll warm up to you as she gets older.

mo said...

Don't take it personally. To some people hugging=smothering. I tend to be on that end of the spectrum. I'm sure Hazel is fond of you.

Vi said...

Maybe you should just sneak into her crib at night and sneak some cuddles while she is fast asleep... good idea right? There's nothing wrong with an adult curled up in a crib with their baby... let me know how that works out ;)

JJ said...

I've had my cuddlers and my non-cuddlers. More accurately they go through stages where they will cuddle and where they won't.

I'm going through the "I'll-give-everyone-but-Mom-a-kiss" stage. Breaks my heart.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

oh give her time...she may have to ease into cuddling. i can imagine you shaking your hands to the heavens.

meg said...

I have very much enjoyed my cuddles from your babies! Bring Hazel here and I'll have a talk with her - I think she just missed a lesson or two.

Kirkhams said...

I've always been told that North-easterners are less social, a little cold and I would assume non-cuddlers...poor Hazel! Being raised up there MUST be tough...Bring the girl HOME!! Bring Darcy and Jared too!

And yes, those were your lovely bushes and your house in the pics...you can have them back you know.

Maleen said...

My first was anti-cuddling. Then she went through a short phase where she wouldn't talk to me; she wanted Dad for everything. I almost sold her on E-bay. But things are better now, and she even cuddles with me sometimes :) Hazel will find her groove.

Mandee said...

She does it just to raise the chances of a future little brother.

Twinlinebackers said...

It's your own fault. If you wanted a dozen kids all on your own, HF wouldn't have to send you a non cuddler to MAKE you want more. I want three dozen and my kid can't sleep without my arm under her neck. See? That's statistically sound proof right there.

Rynell said...

Isn't it funny how all kids come with such distinct personalities?

She's sure a cutie!

Suzie Petunia said...

She may yet come around: I thought for sure that Alice was not a snuggler... but she totally is now!

Charlotte said...

My husband's family are touchy feely (emphasis on the touchy). I have to often explain to people that "He's a hugger." My kids are all cuddlers. Drives me nuts when I'm tired and would rather not be touched at all.

Amy Lynn said...

The worst is when they don't want to snuggle when they are really cute and small and snuggly and then suddenly they DO want to snuggle when they are enormous and lanky and uncomfortable and you're dying for them to be independent. OK, so you may need another one...or two. People who make such cute babies really do have a responsibility to keep making them. The world can ALWAYS use more cute!!