Monday, December 29, 2008

Fa la la lazzzzzzzzzz

I am tired. My husband and I passed out at 9pm last night and it felt great. We all got double digits of sleep last night (except for Clark who actually got up to go to work this morning, poor baby.)
We have just arrived home from a much anticipated trip to Houston for Christmas and a wedding. The suitcases actually got unpacked within 24 hours which would be quite impressive had we not all stayed in our pajamas ALL DAY. It is so sad to have this trip behind us. It's one that we have been looking forward to since we found out that Clark's little bro was getting married and we knew that we had a good excuse to be in Houston for Christmas.
Clark pulled in from a short underway last Sunday and by Sunday night we were on our way. We drove up to the airport the night before to outsmart the winter storm that was threatening to cancel our trip. We decided to camp out for a few hours at a hotel near the airport and brave the icy roads in the evening instead of 3 in the morning (our flight left at 5:45am.) We were very lucky to have made all of our flights though we were mingled among all the irate passengers who had their flights cancelled for 2 days prior. We were grateful to make it in one piece though I wish I could have said the same for our luggage. The downside is that I spent 2 days worrying that our suitcase full of every Christmas gift of the year was not going to make it. The upside is that we finally got it all Christmas Eve morning AND Delta had to shell out $250 to compensate us for our daily necessities. Nice. Delta bought Clark a new shirt and Abby some nifty boots, among some other "necessities". We totally lucked out with that one seeing as how we were spending the week at his sister's house who has four girls (and an equally adorable little boy) in corresponding ages to our own. They may not have had any of their own clothes but they looked adorable and well fitted nonetheless. Megan and I got to know each other very well through some borrowed undies and shirts that were so cute I continued to wear them even after our luggage arrived. The accommodations were phenomenal and I recommend them to anyone visiting the Houston area-- but that might be slightly awkward if you don't really know them. We had my favorite truffles and darling slippers waiting for us in a welcome basket, not to mention much needed shampoos and deodorant when she found out that our luggage was not with us.
As we made our initial descent into Houston, Clark and I agreed that though it's not much to look at (compared to the beauty of New England) you sure can't beat the people. It always feels like we are going home when we visit.
So let me fill you in on some of the highlights, though I realized when I got home that I hadn't taken nearly as many pictures as I should have. I was too busy enjoying myself and not doing much of anything.
We gorged ourselves silly on delicious Scharman feasts of favorites. Clark and I adopted a six-meal-a-day plan mandatory for fitting in all of our favorite eating establishments that are scarce here in Connecticut. At least two meals at Los Cucos and a breakfast and lunch at Chick-Fil-A, with a midnight run to Sonic one night for onion rings and a limeade. I promised Clark that we would eat Los Cucos until our sides split open and green sauce spilled out all over the floor. We nearly did. Man, even the burps are good.
The girls all ravaged the remains of the carrots in the garden. It kept them occupied for a really long time. I felt like such a good Mom all week, mostly because my kids were so content playing with their cousins that I didn't have to yell at them.
We took walks and basked in the balmy warm weather of the South. See my bare legs? I particularly loved this walk. We had 3 girls on bikes, one in dress ups pushing a doll stroller, two in winter beanies and one on a pogo stick.
We shared Christmas. There might not have been anything more fun than to wake up Christmas morning to 8 adorable little girls (and one adorable little boy) excited and enthusiastic with Christmas cheer. The girls missed their cousins so much. They have a special bond with all of these girls and it is a true treasure and a treat to be close to them. It is so difficult to say goodbye. Oh these cousins.
A couple of days after Christmas, Ethan and Marisa were married in the Houston temple. It was happy and fun...just check out her fabulous shoes. Once again, the children all looked darling and we had fun at the reception catching up with friends and family.
With the vacation hangover wearing off this evening I am sad that this much anticipated trip is over but so grateful for the amazing in laws that I have. I love them so much and feel so blessed to be a part of a family that I truly love and appreciate. Thank you for such a memorable time!!

17 comments:

Abby said...

Love it. Love the dress, love the shoes, LOVE IT. All of it. Such beautiful young ladies.

Sadie Lou said...

aaww we miss you too! i am so happy that you came but i am sad that it went by so fast in one little week! which was much to short! :)

Jenny said...

I have to admit that I am glad that Christmas and wedding are over but family time was much too short. The girls were starting to get that, "Oh no! Grandma is going to kiss and hug me again." look on their faces. We miss you-we always do. Love you.

Twinlinebackers said...

Why are you outside in flipflops in the middle of winter? Oh yeah. It's warm other places.

Watch what you write. If there is nothing better than 8 little girls and a boy on Christmas morning, imagine the joy that would come from having 9 of your very own EVERY morning!

Welcome home! We missed you like crazy!

Suebee said...

Glad you had a good trip and got there and back safely. Love the dancing picture.

Natalie said...

Glad you made it home "without incident"! It was so great to see you.

katyvee said...

Even the burps were good!! Ahh-ha-ha.. you make me LAUGH!

Suzie Petunia said...

Oh, I love those sassy shoes! Why was I not allowed to be so daring in the '90s? :)

I am sad for you that the vacation is over. But what amazing family memories you made! And especially all of your favorite restaurants: those memories will "stick" around for a while. I'm still picturing salsa verde coming out of a slit in your side. Gross. But kudos on the amazing description that has stuck with me.

I love your in-laws, too. :)

Brett and Amy said...

I love family! I'm so glad you got to share Christmas with some. I also LOVE your girls hair (wedding pics). I tell ya, you are the best doer of little girls hair.

TD said...

Family and Christmas just go together. I am glad that you had a great time.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

even the burps are tasty? wow, that ones gonna stick with me. I like that brown blanket...is it flowers on there? girly? a baby blanket? i need details.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

even the burps are tasty? wow, that ones gonna stick with me. i need more details about the blanket...is it for a boy or girl? baby? larger? its verycute.

Charlotte said...

Lost Christmas presents? Wow, talk about a bit of stress. Glad it worked out OK and you had a nice Christmas break. Welcome home.

JJ said...

I cannot believe you wore flip-flops during Christmas. Amazing, that Texas weather! Love the photos and I'm so glad that your kids got to be with their cousins for a little while. Don't you enjoy that time when they are all completely entertained without any motherly intervention?

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, perfect, fabulous vacation! I'm sitting in my basement FREEZING to death and dying that you were wearing flip-flops and short sleeves. Everything looked beautiful! Merry Christmas...and bring those girls to Utah soon!

Carrie Ann said...

Good gracious! MARATHON Christmas! I am glad you are home and could enjoy the rest of the season in your PJ's all day if you want.

mo said...

There was a wedding and I wasn't right in the middle of it? What's with that???? Somehow I feel so lost with vague sense that I should have been there doing something. Probably just long habit and missing you and your girls. Oh it all looks so lovely and happy and wonderful. Los Cucos....sigh.