Friday, December 12, 2008

Every once in a while...

you have to take a chance at doing something that has the potential to be really cool...if that is what you are expecting to read about, perhaps you should come back later.
We are quite fond of Ty Pennington (I mean, who isn't?) and the show Extreme Makeover Home Edition. So when we found out that they were filming up in Voluntown we jumped at the opportunity to be a part of it. So what if I had to take Haley out of school a few hours early? So what if Clark wasn't there? So what if it was 40 degrees and raining? We sat outside on 4th of July in the rain for about 9 hours on the mall in our Nation's capital and it was fun, a memorable experience!
We were totally decked out with leggings, pants, snow pants, hats, boots, snacks, baby carrier (no strollers)....Hazel was happy in the carrier for all of 15 minutes and I left her binky in the car. My left arm is actually sore this morning from holding her for 2 hours as we stood in the rain against the barricade waiting to yell "move that bus!" The girls and I watched an episode the night before to get ready. We were so excited but our enthusiasm waned with each. and. every. take. of the empty limo driving by to get the shot of the crowd cheering. After those two hours (and lots of pleas to leave) we cut our losses and got back on the warm shuttle to go back to our car. Here is our very exciting video of us yelling "move that bus" for real....psyche...they didn't move that bus. Just kidding. I was loading it but it was taking 4 years and then suddenly it was gone. Let me set the scene...it looks just like the pictures but add a thousand or more people chanting "move that bus" with the obnoxious group of middle school girls behind us saying "whooo!" after every phrase. I think I know why they had to do so many takes. I don't tolerate obnoxious middle-schoolers well...(you don't count Sadie...you may be in middle school but you are very mature and cool, not obnoxious.) See how that works?

TV is not real, you know. When we got home and everyone got bathed and warm we turned on the TV only to find reruns of Extreme Makeover Home Edition on at that very moment. I was too irritated to watch. I felt a little deceived at the TV magic of it all. The girls were such troopers. No one had a major breakdown, just minor whining and Hazel definitely wasn't happy to be missing a nap while being held in very stiff baby bunting for two hours. Did I mention my arms were sore and I didn't even get a glimpse of Ty or even Paige and her pink tool belt? This episode will air on February 8th. Tune in to possibly see the look of pained enthusiasm on our faces.In short, we did not "move that bus".
Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

In other news:
We had our first snowfall last week...it lasted for a couple of days and made everything real pretty-like.
The girls typically get a new ornament for the Christmas tree every year...this year we made our own. I have decided to store the super glue with the ornaments...I've glued more than I can count already. These however, are all still in one piece (so far.)

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I need to take inspriation from you can get off my rump and do more fun (or potentially fun) fun things! Love the ornaments, but I'm a little concerned about the holes in them middle of thier heads. It looks a little dark for a Holly Jolly Christmas.

Leese said...

You are so adventerous! They filmed 2 projects here, and we went to see them working on one of them a few times...Sadly no Ty here either. But it was pretty cool to watch them woking on it. It is tv though and they do a lot of editing, etc. Reality tv...not so real!

Twinlinebackers said...

Those ornaments are cute than Ty! How fun. Do we get a tutorial? Or at least a hint? I'm afraid mine will look more like Abby and Mia's (no offense girls) than the adults. Hazel is one very talented baby!

katyvee said...

You, dear Emily.. are a cute Mom. I share your willingness to stand for a long time in hopes of something interesting (for example.. my 8 hour stint in the DOND audition line!) I love your girls hats.. and their faces in them.

JJ said...

You may just be one of the bravest people I know. I can't believe you did that by yourself wiith four kids.

Unfortunately, you probably shattered some of your beliefs in the magic of reality TV.

mo said...

It was a fun idea...you just never know do you? I do love the ornaments. Very cute and creative!

Suzie Petunia said...

The ornaments are adorable! I think I'll go make some with my kids. We're all snowed in here with nothing to do but play games of Risk that go on for hours... with kids that don't understand how to really play... hours I tell you!

So TV isn't all real? That is a sad reality check. Do you think their tears are all fake? Do they pinch the kids to make them cry? Those designers are probably very good actors with very active tear ducts. Seriously. Sad.

BUt I love your zest for adventure - even while playing the single parent! Your girls are going to have so many amazing memories!

Julie said...

Love the ornaments!! I am so impressed that you went to "move the bus". I would have given up after seeing rain. You are a good mom;)

Amy Lynn said...

Brave, brave mama! I love it...but I'm so sad you didn't get to see Ty. And I'm so sad that all of that is just a big set up. Dumb heads. And I thought it was all perfectly real.

Love your ornaments...especially Abby's lips. Botox gone so wrong!

Abby said...

Very nice likenesses of you...you're such a "cookie cutter" family. har har har.

Vi said...

man- I saw the extreme home makeover part real quick and then had to do something and while i was doing it i was thinking- I'm so jealous that they got to do that! we love that show (well I do... Joe's not a big fan of crying/drama ha ha)... but it sounds like it kinda stunk! oh well...
I need to talk to you about this- I don't quite get what happened but i have a feeling it's going to shatter my love for the show! ha ha

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

LOVE those ornaments and GOOD for you for adventurously taking the girls out to such an event. so did you see the house? I love the pink tool belt.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was directed this way from your sisters blog. I LOVE your ornaments and would like to make some with my little gals. Did you buy the dough or make it? If you have a second, could I bother you for instructions? Thanks!

And PS... that is annoying that you had to do retake after retake of the bus scene. Kind of changes how I wtch the show now. Once, when I was young I went to a taping of America's funniest home videos. At the time Bob saget of full house was the host during commercial break he would tell the dirtiest jokes. Totally turned me off of the show...