(This is me giving the evil eye to the snow.)
So here is my recent realization and guilt stricken confession...I hate the snow.
You think it's beautiful? Think again. It falls deceivingly graceful to the ground where it lays in wait silently to maim and destroy all who come in contact. It beguiles even the smartest winterer into playing and frolicking..."come look how fluffy and fun I am"...I know it too well but my poor naive daughters run into it's icy arms only to return 30 minutes later with frostbitten toes and fingers.
It is slippery and cold and wet. My car thinks so too. I vow not to go out in it again until it melts away into Spring...after I go to Costco. Texas is

looking pretty good to me this December. (Note the driveway of death to the right...Mo is concocting new inventions that would prevent the shoveling and salting of this precarious situation including an electric net that you throw over it to immediately melt and clear its path...she hasn't worked out the kinks of the electric shock factor...it has tried to take the life of Grandpa and Dad already...evil and plotting...)
(On the upside, everyone is shopping
at the Macy's one day sale.)
18 comments:
Not everyone hates winter...check out my blog. I just hate the driveway. However, when I come up with my brilliant idea for a cheap way to melt snow off of steep driveways and I make millions of dollars on it, I will be grateful to have had the challenge!
You evil eye made me laugh. (Sorry, I'm sure that it meant to drive winter away....)
I love snow, but I hate driving in it. It's tough being such a conflicted person.
ok that picture of you really freaks me out! can you please remove it! it really scares me! and you are not that kind of a dark person at all! but don't you love the snow, it fun and something new and different! :)
I feel so liberated that someone finally said "I hate snow" out loud. I've lived in Utah for several years now and I know people travel from all over the world to come ski our snow but I don't like it either. I feel trapped in my house. I seriously decided yesterday that I was going to go skiing and cross country skiing at least once this winter to see if I could improve my attitude. Wanna come watch? (I don't think they encourage pregnant, novice women to ski...I'll buy you a big mug of foamy hot chocolate to sip in the easy chair in the lodge. On second thought, let's skip the skiing and just drink hot chocolate.)
I love you dearly and believe you when you say how much you hate the snow. I used to be the same way, but have had a change of heart. Here is how I came upon this change. First I spent large sums of money to dress all my children for snow play. Second I learned that they could play in the snow great, but they couldn't play in the 36 degree rain, so I began to wish for snow. At least you don't live in military housing where your driveway and sidewalks have to be shoveled within 12 hours of snow fall. Good winter clothing is the key to happy snow. Also a rules that you must use the bathroom before getting dressed and can't come back inside for at least 30 minutes after you have asked to go out. You might have to shorten that since your girls are a little younger. We miss our snow since all it does is rain here.
The snow can be fun, but then again I have always had it in Idaho and Utah. I wanted to thank you for doing a blog. I found out you were pregnant by reading it on your blog. I just started one. Come and visit at www.duncancenter.com. I am glad that I can see what you, Clark and the girls are up to. If you can't remember me, I am Tracie, originally from Idaho. My parents had the family reunion at their cabin a few year ago.
I'm not the biggest fan either. I think living in upstate NY for three years was enough for me. I can't stand being cold. I rather be sweating up a storm than cold. Visiting snow is fun, living in it is an entirely different story!
In our current corner of the world, people pay thousands of money to experience snow! Of course, we are not among them, but I won't deny thinking about it. Somedays a low of 65 degrees just makes you fantasize about the white stuff. Ok...maybe I'm just being nostalgic.
By the way, I love your blog and I can usually relate all to well!
Lisa
i agree... unless i have a snowboard, then i strongly disagree... remember how we used to walk all the crazy way to that one good sledding hill in boston? that was a far walk just to come home frostbitten and crying or injured and crying... wither way, you couldn't go home unless you were crying. Sheaux hates the cold, of which snow is only a manifestation. So logically speaking, she hates snow too.
i never really was good at driving in the snow and actually hated that part of it. i guess that is what growing up in california will do to you. at times i wish it would snow here, but then i couldn't have worn shorts last night when we looked at christmas lights. i guess texas has it's perks.
I love this post. I love that you've managed to get 20-somethin' weeks pregnant and look guant. I am sorry it is icky and really hope you don't slide down that awful hill to your deaths--it truly freaks me out. I may not come visit this winter.
I am in love with the snowman though. He looks happy in the snow--why can't you?
I have revisited your blog time and time again in the last week just to see that picture of you giving the snow the "evil eye." I think it's hilarious. Thanks for providing me with a good laugh!
you are a great writer....i agree...snow is pretty, but unforgiving. I "think" I want to play in it, until i get cold and go back inside. I love your coat, by the way.
Your funny Emily. Thats a funny picture of you. I don't mind the snow so much, I just hate the cold weather. I wish we could just enjoy the snow but in warm weather. Then there'd be the best of 2 worlds.
I hate snow too. It's the number 2 reason why we live in Texas and not Utah . . . the In laws pulling in the #1 spot!! I lived in Utah 10 years and still never learned to love snow. Brooklyn asks all the time when we can go play in the snow in Utah. Mmm, Never!!!
It's always greener isn't it...I wish we could see snow because we live in constant heat and humidity. If I lived in Utah, I would probably agree! That's why VISITING is always so nice because we can leave before we begin to hate it!
Hi, I'm Kara, and I hate the snow. Sometimes the hardest part is just saying it out loud! I'm with you sister!
OK, I posted up above just now, but had to look at your picture again...still laughing...I think that picture says it all and your wording couldn't have been more perfect!
Post a Comment