Thursday, December 20, 2007

We are flinstone kids...ten million strong, and growing?

Let me just state for the record, that I find Flintstone vitamins to be a perfectly suitable side dish substitute for vegetables.
I would also like to state for the record that kids watching TV whilst the mother is in the throws of pregnancy induced illness/fatigue is also perfectly acceptable.
For instance, my first trimester pregnant with my second child, my first child ate her weight each day in Saltine crackers and watched TONS of TV, and she is really smart now and doesn't have any lasting behavioral or relational issues (that have emerged thus far...)
And while we're on the subject, sometimes just sitting and playing in soapy water is good enough for a bath...
And having your kids rub your feet with lotion CAN be a fun game...
So pregnant ladies of the world, involve your kids in this time...and by that I mean don't knock yourself out trying to act like life is normal when you're pregnant. I mean, coddle them and give them plenty of hugs and kisses and daily affirmations, but don't worry too much about how acquainted they are becoming with Arthur or how often they eat pasta, frozen pizza or cold cereal for dinner.
Please feel free to add your own advice...just don't tell me what to do.(This is me trying to look credible with my advice...I don't really wear glasses but I still know a lot, OK?)

18 comments:

scraphappymama said...

you look so wise (and very cute pregnant). I agree wholeheartedly with your advice. My kids develop a "healthy" relationship with Nickelodeon when I am pregnant which continues to deepen the longer I nurse :) In the end, I figure I'd scar them worse if I didn't let them watch tv.

alas, Brooklyn did tell me she was so glad to have a fun mom again. I asked her what she meant, and she said, "well, when you were pregnant you weren't much fun, remember?" Mmm, yep, I remember all too well.

laurie said...

I totally agree! You GO Girl!
I give my kids vitamins everyday at dinner and I'm not pregnant.

Jessica said...

Cold pizza from last night is fine for their breakfast...
Candy at 8am? oh well, it was the neighbors that left it on the doorstep!
And I'm not even pregnant. Just some days are like that!
Keep plugging along!

Suebee said...

I support you completely. Not only are you pregnant, but your husband is gone which is another drain on your personal resources. By the way, I consider watching TV with my eyes closed on the sofa with the children watching TV together as a family. Jay and I both do that one.

Suebee said...

P.S. I love the green walls in that room. So bright and happy.

Mandee said...

I don't have any advice and I certainly don't have any excuse for the amount of TV my children watch or the lack of nutritional meals, and I would never think of telling you what to do but I will say this....you are the cutest pregnant girl I have ever seen, glasses and all!

Abby said...

Amen, sista! My boy is talking in movie quotes these days...hey, the way I see it, his vocabulary is expanding exponentially! "Would you like to buy my donkey?"

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I made my team of Infidel elves do all the Christmas decorating, cleaning, wrapping up some of the gifts, Lauren even baked cookies and banana bread.

I labored young so I could retire at an early age. :)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

By the way, you and your cutie pie daughters all look adorable!!!

Becky said...

Hi! Megan told me about your blog- and yep, I know all about you too. (We did meet one time- I went to your home in Houston...I had 2 boys at the time, I think. We had a Megan's family get-together and I happened to be visiting)...It was fun.

You raise those girls well, and I will do the same on the opposite side. What's meant to be is meant to be, right? I always thought I would have at least one girl- but...nope. I have shifted my thinking and then have found myself perfectly happy with what I have been given.

Let's keep in touch- I love your blog!

Suzie Petunia said...

You look totally credible. I'm with ya, sistah.

Except, do I have to be pregnant and fatigued and without my husband for 6 months for these rules to apply? Oh, I hope not.

Rachel said...

i should try that vitamin thing.....never really done that...I love the picture, you are one hot pregnant mamma! We like cartoons, too. It was Sesame Street for Tyler when I was pregnant with Matthew...he is a well adjusted child.

Julie said...

I couldn't agree more!

Sunnie said...

i'm glad vitamins count as a substitute because mya doesn't eat much of anything nowadays. and you are cute pregnant. and i think tv is a wonderful babysitter. i couldn't agree with you more. if only kids liked to play along with the "let's take a nap" game more often that would be great.

Sarah said...

For me it was the first trimester...in the afternoon I'd fall asleep on the couch while BUd watched Things That Go from Baby Einstein. Hey, now he knows the difference between a sail boat, tug boat, and ocean liner!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i think "mensa mommy" has a nice ring to it. i'll get you the tshirt.

Oscarson Photography said...

one of th best blog entries i've ever read.

Kara said...

Right on sista! Go on with your bad self!