I have to set the record straight to all those out there who label me a "camping-hater". Such strong words. I simply do not care for the sleeping outside part. Everything else I can handle and really, truly enjoy. I mean, who doesn't like pancakes, eggs and sausage cooked over an open fire and you haven't camped until you have had the foil dinners that my Mother in law makes (Sorry Mo, I love yours too but its been a while!). To further prove my dedication to my in laws (who have labeled me a hater of camping) I went with a raging case of pink eye (extreme measures were taken to disinfect at all times, I assure you...though we should see how good a job I did at that in the coming 24 to 48 hours.)
ANYway! In short, we had
2 camping sites
4 tents
1 hammock
8 adults
1 pre-teen (complete with make up and hair accessories)
9 kids
a few powdered donuts
tang
and one case of pink eye.
It is always loads of fun (excluding the hours between 11pm and 6:30 am at which point I finally woke up my husband to walk my half-blind self to the bathroom where from 300 yards away we could hear our daughter calling through the quiet wee hours of the morning for her Mommy to change her out of a urine-soaked sleeping bag)
I love the food, the company and the time together. Whenever we go camping with all the fam we take a long hike--that's my favorite part.
I love being outside and not caring what we look like or where we have to be, what we have to do and how many stains we have on our shirts. It's a time for me to revel in my family, to be grateful for the Earth that we live on and the people that I get to live with. I'm grateful that we get to go even though the prep and clean up when you tote along 3 small kids is not all that fun, its a perfect excuse to just be...and I love it.
15 comments:
That picture of your crazy eye actually startled me--you should have a disclaimer! You look like Hitch when he gets all deformed and stuff--wow. So sorry.
Everyone else looks real real cute though!
Whoa! Talk about not caring what you look like...that took a lot of courage to post that picture of yourself. You look like a battered cancer survivor....and I mean that in that best way possible. Bless your heart. I'm afraid I feel the same way about camping. Love the outdoors...don't get why people love the inconvenience of it all when we all have such nice comfortable homes to live in! The pics are darling though. Mia is such a doll and they are all getting cuter everyday! Miss you guys!
I think you look nice with pink eye, anyways, WHERE did you go?
When I go camping I love--
the smell of sagebrush, pine, running water, and dirt,
eating at diners in small towns,
wearing a knife on my belt even when I don't need it,
brushing my teeth while surrounded by trees,
drinking from a canteen,
hearing (above my little boy's snoring) the trickle of water, wind in the trees, and nothing at all (no cars).
you really have such cute girls! we haven't been camping in years, although i would like to go sometime again. and the eye- oh my, that has got to be the worst case of pink eye i have ever seen!
You are such a photographer. That last pic of Abby is precious. Your girls are just so cute. Why do they look so tidy and clean in the wilderness? I miss you guys.
Whoa! I have 1 thing to say:
Aye! Aye! Matey!
I'm glad you were able to find joy in such an UNnatural activity like camping. If God wanted us to camp he wouldn't have created houses with air conditioning. And he wouldn't have given you pink-eye. Henry had that just last week. It didn't look NEARLY as bad as yours!
Sorry I'm so mean.
No offense taken by any of you...in fact, I like you thinking that I look so horrible. Little do you know, that is how I always look in the morning.
PS I think my left eye is permenantly smaller than my right now.
I feel the same way about camping! Love the outdoors duering the day, I'll even go as farther and say that I like them at dusk as well. But, once the sun goes down...things come out. Things you can't see and things that make weird noises and things that I don't want to know about!
OK. I just read what I wrote, and please, rest assure, that I can type and spell better than that. I am typing in the dark...no, I really am!
scary eye, indeed. I've had kids get pink eye, but somehow I escaped it...it's no fun when mom is sick, and while camping? Wow, you are a trooper!
kj
Where does it say that God created houses and air conditioning?
Trees, I remember....water, yes, animals, yes, even rocks and bugs...houses? We were meant to live outside.
Oh Michael. God created us as smart individuals...and we (under with his inspiration) ivented penecillen, toilets and air conditioning. But bless you--I am glad that there are people out there that can appreciate the Earth without any reservations...have you ever camped in Texas? It's not as much fun as camping in Utah/Idaho.
I don't know if camping in Utah/Idaho could be labelled as "fun" for all of its residents. Maybe I would enjoy it more if I could sit in a lounge chair and read a book instead of worrying about M. falling in the water, H. getting eaten by a mountain lion, and J. getting sick from eating all the raw hot dogs. But I love reading about other people's camping trips. It makes me nostalgic about how fun camping always sounds in my mind.
Ok- so this is a really old post that you did (I'm really bored and decided to look at yours from the beginning... then I realized that you've done this for a couple of years! ha ha ah... so I'm kinda just checking out the pics cause I love pics- although I enjoy your stories- but seriously... I really don't have that much time on my hands!)...
Anyways- it was so funny to see this pic of your eye when you were camping- it made the story you told us so much better! ha ha
Post a Comment